Meeting an Alchemist (Part 5!)

"L-love?.." You asked as a small blush had appeared on your face.

Rapunzel nodded and smiled. "Yes! All those butterflies in your stomach to your heart pounding against your chest when you're around Varian has to mean you're in love!" She then squealed in excitement.

When you had left Varian's home and headed back to the castle, you asked your sister about all these strange feelings you had around your friend. And apparently, that was love.

"B-but I've only known him for a about a week!" You said nervously, a light sweat formed on your forehead.

"Hey, it took me about a day to find out I was in love with Eugene." Rapunzel shrugged.

You hung your head and sighed. "I-If what you're saying is true, what if he doesn't feel the same?"

"Well, has he ever shown any signs?" Your sister asked as she tilted her head.

"I-I haven't really noticed anything I-"

You slowly got sidetracked as you remembered staring into Varian's eyes, those blue eyes that anyone could get lost in. Something was in those eyes, something new and unreadable to you.

You remembered how his freckled cheeks were a shade of red as he looked at you, and his lips were slightly parted to show his adorable buck teeth.

"Um, earth to (Y/N)?"

"Huh?" You snapped out of your little daydream and looked at Rapunzel who seemed a bit concerned.

"Are you ok?" She asked.

"Oh, I'm fine! But um, I guess he showed some sort of sign. When I was at his house, I fell and he caught me and we kind of just, stared at each other for a while." You responded while rubbing your arm.

Rapunzel squealed and grabbed your hands. "The chemistry between you two is already forming! Oh my gosh, this is so exciting!"

As your sister fangirled in the background, you were off in your own little world and trying to process what just happened.

This was all coming at you, and fast. It was a little hard to take in. Varian is your friend, nothing more. But why did you want it to be something greater?

That night, it was hard for you to focus on anything, even sleep. You tossed and turned in your bed restlessly as you continued to think.

You had eventually kicked off your blanket since all this nervousness was making you feel warm and sweaty.

"Does he feel the same?" Was the only thing you could ask yourself as you lay there, staring up at the plain white ceiling.

...

When morning came, you couldn't get out of bed. You yearned for sleep to take over you but it never happened, one could say you unintentionally pulled an all-nighter.

But boy were you a mess, your damp hair stuck to your face, you had dark bags under your eyes, and drool was sticking to the corner of your mouth.

You even managed to gain a headache. You really didn't want to get out of bed, but the maids forced you to get up and "prettied" you up for the day.

Even if you had to focus on your princess duties, you focused on Varian and him only, nothing else. Why was it so hard to concentrate on something other than that adorable alchemist?! You already knew the answer to that question.

Once your chores were over, you went out with Lucy and headed back to Old Corona. You were a nervous wreck, what if you said something wrong and embarrassed yourself in front if Varian?