Alone Together

The fire crackled in the fireplace, the sound echoing through the room. A boy sat on a couch, a nice soft blanket was wrapped around him and in his gloved hands was a warm cup of hot chocolate.

It was around midnight and the boy couldn't sleep. So, he decided to go downstairs and into his living room with his furry little companion who was now curled up in his lap.

The boy stared at the embers of the fire, listening to its sounds and the chirping of crickets outside his window.

He was alone, well, sort of. His father had left on a business trip and wouldn't be back for a few days now. All the boy had was his raccoon friend to keep him company.

No one else was here with him, or so he thought.

He sighed and grabbed his journal that was sitting beside him. He flipped through the pages and read over his recent notes he had scribbled down not too long ago.

As he was reading, a pair of curious eyes that no one could see was watching him from the staircase.

The figure took a step and the floorboard creaked under their transparent foot which caused the boy to jump in surprise.

He looked around, starting to feel a bit anxious. "Probably just the old wood." He thought to himself, setting his journal aside.

He soon felt a small gust of wind passed by him, sending chills down his spine. He could have sworn all the windows were closed.

At this point, the boys' raccoon was awake and looking up at him in confusion.

The figure from before reached out their hand and touched the fluffy raccoon, scaring him in the process.

The raccoon flinched and climbed onto the boys' shoulders, now shivering in fear as he clung to the fabric of his owner's shirt.

"What's wrong Ruddiger?" The boy asked, petting his companions head to calm him down.

Ruddiger chittered and looked around, which worried the boy even more than he was.

The boy swallowed the lump in his throat and said, "You think someone's here?" His voice sounded a little shakey.

As the unseen figure watched the two, she was saddened that they were afraid of her, maybe she should have taken a better approach.

Should she say something, would that freak them out more? Should she reveal herself, or would he reject her presence? It was hard for a being such as herself to interact with the people she used to be.

She took a deep unheard breath and spoke, "You shouldn't be afraid, I don't want to hurt you."

Oh boy, did that freak them out more. The boy flinched at the unexpected voice, looking around the room again and staying silent to see if he would hear that misty and distant voice once more.

"Ok, maybe staying up past my bedtime is messing with my head." The boy got up from his couch and started to head to his kitchen to grab some water to put out the fireplace.

The figure stayed, waiting for him to come back, which he did of course. He put out the fire and walked to the stairs with Ruddiger, the figure assumed he was heading to his room.

"Wait!" The figure said, revealing her form on accident but the boy still didn't see her, he stopped dead in his tracks. "D-don't leave."

The boy hesitated and glanced at his raccoon friend who was still slightly shaking in fear. "Who's there?" He said rather quietly but luckily, the figure was still able to hear his voice.

The figure realized that she could be seen, she placed her hands behind her back and rocked on her heels. "If you turn around, you'll see."

Again the boy hesitated, not sure if he should be listening to the voice who was speaking to him. He tensed up a bit before slowly turning around to face her.