Prologue

"Boss says that something big is going down tomorrow night." A voice drifts loudly across the near silent night, reaching my ears from the rooftop where I'm perched. "Everytime my father says 'something big is going down', nothing actually happens. It's just a trick so that he can see me." The second man scoffs and I even my breathing, training the scope of the rifle on him. "One more step." I mutter under my breath, taking account of the wind speed, curvature of the earth, and every other thing that would mean missing this shot. The man moves into my range and I pull the trigger. The bullet releases from the muzzle of the rifle and starts to barrel down towards the ground.

I watch in delight as it embeds itself into the man's chest and he hits the pavement in an instant, blood pooling around him. "Jack!" The second man cries and drops onto a knee, taking the pulse of the dying man while grabbing the handgun from the waistband of his pants. I know his efforts will come up unsuccessful, the man on the pavement is as good as dead, I never miss my mark. I silently pack up my gear and sling the bag over one shoulder, climbing down a ladder nearby until my feet his solid ground. I take off into the night, the blood of another man's life on my hands, figuratively this time.

I'm an assassin, the night is my home, it's where I feel most like myself. They call me Vixen, because I'm like a fox. Cunning, savage, and very dangerous. No one really knows what I look like, I plan that no one will ever find out, my security means the matter of life and death. Poor Jack, bleeding out on the pavement, life ebbing away, will never know that his sister paid me a hefty fee to fire that bullet. A lot of money, and a lot of information important to my cause. Everyone has motives, eventually someone will learn what mine is. Until then Vixen is free to roam the night, in search of prey.