I hate you

As soon as the words left the small six year old's mouth Demi crumbled.

Demi heard Sophia's feet on the steps as she ran up to her bedroom, while she sat down on the couch. You watched Demi run her hand through her hair. She was heartbroken.

It all started with Sophia not wanting to clean up her toys that she had brought down from her room earlier. She seemed to be a little fussier today and it was leaving you both tired. Demi had no choice but to get a little stern with her and when she accidentally raised her voice a little louder than she intended she watched the little girl's eyes fill with tears, which was heartbreaking enough. But then those words were said and it broke her.

"Demi? You okay?" You took a seat next to her and put your hand on her shoulder. "S-She said she hates me... she hates me, y/n." "No she doesn't. She's just upset. She could never hate you, baby. She loves you so much."

Demi's brown eyes were filled with tears. It keeps playing in her mind over and over again, making her break more and more. "What do I do?" She looked at you for help. She didn't know what to do next. Should she give Sophia space? Should she go and snuggle up with her in her bed? She was unsure. But her entire body ached with an urge to simply hold the small girl in her arms and tell her that she was sorry for raising her voice at her in the first place.

"Why don't you go talk to her? Stay calm this time though, no raising your voice. It just scares her. But that's still no excuse for what she said and you have to remind her of that."

You watched Demi go upstairs before she disappeared down the hallway in the direction of Sophia's bedroom. When she opened the door she saw Sophia on her bed under her blankets. "Soph? Honey, can we talk?" Demi sat down on her bed and pulled the covers off of her. Sophia's eyes were red and she had tears streaming down her cheeks. "Mommy? I'm sorry. I don't hate you. I love you."

Demi was surprised by Sophia apologizing right off the bat but when she crawled onto her lap and told her that she loves her, she couldn't wipe the smile from her face. "I love you too sweetie. I'm sorry I raised my voice at you. I never meant to and i'd never do it on purpose. I'm just tired, that's all. But that's not an excuse. Just like because you were upset with me, doesn't mean you can say what you said, right?" Sophia looked at her with sad eyes, nodding her head. "It hurts people's feelings. So we gotta be nice with what we say, okay?"

Demi's tone of voice was soft and sweet. She wasn't yelling and she wasn't mad, she was talking to her with the tone she always talks to her with. "Are we all good now?" Sophia smiled and nodded her head, throwing her arms around Demi's neck as Demi squeezed her in a huge, comforting hug making her giggle.

"How about we go clean up your toys and watch a movie?" Sophia's eyes lit up at the sound of that. "Can we have ice cream too?" Demi laughed and picked Sophia up in her arms. "Yeah we can." She said as she kissed Sophia's head. "Wait!" Sophia said, reaching down for the stuffed bear that demi gave her long ago. She pulled it to her chest and snuggled up to Demi. "Okay. Ready!"

Demi could've sworn that her heart had melted right there. She just had an endless amount of love for the little girl that was snuggled up to her chest.