5. What Else Have You Mastered?

It was morning.

The sun had blinded me in every direction I turned. I slammed the pillow over my face and winced, feeling the headache send powerful impulses to my brain. The moment I dared to open my eyes, the light burned as I squinted, trying to build the energy to get up. I should've closed the curtains, but I passed out by the time I made it to my room last night.

Heavily sighing, I slowly dragged myself out of bed, my bones cracking in unison. I got up too fast for my brain, which made me dizzy, wanting to fall back into the comfort of my bed. When I checked my phone, I saw it was a little past eight in the morning. I hated that I could never sleep in and naturally woke up early, no matter what I did the night before.

After a long shower, I dressed in an oversized shirt with bike shorts, letting my wet hair hang down my back. I felt a little better after standing under the hot water, but I needed coffee. And I needed to put something on my stomach or throw up all the contents from last night.

I knew no one would be awake this early, and I wanted to get a head start before having to socialize. I cautiously trailed out of my room and headed downstairs. When I cut around the corner to the kitchen, I wasn't the only one who had plans of being up early.

"Guess I'm not the only early one," Joey said, pulling down another coffee mug.

"Good morning," I muttered, hoping he wouldn't hint at anything sexual and could have a normal conversation. "I didn't think anyone would be awake."

He sent me a smile. "Have to be quicker than that. Morning," he replied, pouring the liquid into both cups. That was a nice gesture. I couldn't tell if he had just finished working out, or showering because his clothes were wet and clinging to his built body.

"Cream or sugar?"

I bit down on my smile. "A little of both," I answered, getting on a stool near the island. I wouldn't mind waking up to that every morning. Hot ass guy making my coffee? Okay. What am I thinking?

After he set my coffee on the table, he grabbed a piece of toast and stood in front of me from the opposite side. I used the cup to warm my hands and stared down at the steam rising from the cup. There was more awkward silence between us, and I could feel his stare.

"Are you usually an early bird?" I questioned, breaking the ice.

I lifted my eyes to his face. "I usually go for a run in the morning. You should join me sometime," Joey offered, biting into his piece of toast. I watched his jaw clench as he chewed while waiting for my coffee to warm up.

"What are you trying to say?" I asked, arching my eyebrows at him.

That you should run if you're capable of eating almost a whole pizza by yourself.

"That you should join me running, or in any other—"

I took a sip of my coffee and almost choked. "Please don't finish that sentence," I blurted, shaking my head. I knew it was coming. I mean, the man wanted me to repay him with sex after helping me with my bags.

"Can't handle the charm?"

"Is that what you call it? Charm? You're funny," I snickered and rolled my eyes. I took multiple sips, hoping it would speed up the process of waking me up. Joey couldn't reply right away to my comment and turned around to fish something from the cabinet.

When he returned in front of me, he said, "I guess I'm a lot of things, huh?" Hell yeah.

"And charming isn't one of them," I spat, sucking down the rest of my drink. He laughed, thinking I was funny but was completely serious. He didn't give me charming qualities. It was more demanding in a humorous kind of way.