12. Vulnerable

THE BOOK IS BEING REWRITTEN

THE BOOK IS BEING REWRITTEN. SO, IM AWARE THINGS DON'T MAKE SENSE.

A week passed, and Florida still lived up to my expectations. Sam took me around the city and showed me her old stomping grounds. It was nice to see more of where she came from and the places she hung out growing up. She took me to Treasure Island beach and instead of swimming; we walked around, drinking daiquiris as I souvenir shopped.

Then while I buzzed off way too many drinks, Coleman took us to John's pass, where we had an incredible lunch and walked the boardwalk. There were so many shops, restaurants, and entertainment to keep you busy while watching the waves. I found cute gifts for my mom and took so many pictures of unnecessary shit. I didn't remember the last time Sam and I spend an entire day together, no negativity surrounding us, or schoolwork.

When we got home that evening, I helped my best friend get ready with her date with her boyfriend before spending the rest of the day in bed. She asked if I wanted to tag along, but I knew they wanted some alone time since we had been together since we arrived. It was like we had a summer itinerary, and didn't have time to just relax. I didn't want to be the friend to come along, and making her do everything by my side.

For once, the estate was quiet, and I had no clue if Joey and Dylan were still there. And I used that to my advantage, watching stupid comedy movies, and eating snacks. I found a snack drawer in the kitchen that I didn't see the first time I rummaged through everything.

The night was still young, the sun just was setting. I could hear the crickets chirping outside, and the faint sounds of traffic through the window.

Growing bored with the movie I picked, I grabbed my phone and checked my social media accounts. I had been updating them frequently because that was how my mom kept tabs on me most of the time. I sent her a bunch of pictures from the skating rink before I fell and then of my knee that I scraped.

Out of habit, I clicked Kevin's name in my recent search history to see if he was remotely doing anything basketball related. Since, according to him, that was the main reason he broke up with me to focus on his career. But the newest picture ripped me to shreds.

I sat straight up and stared at the image in complete shock. My eyes widened. My heart raced. I couldn't rip my eyes away. I felt something break inside of me because I thought this was one of our weird breakups when we'd made up, and everything was okay again. But judging from the photo in front of me, it was all a lie. There was no focusing on his career or figuring out what he wanted in life.

It was a red head woman. A woman who kissed his cheek and had her arms wrapped around him as he smiled, happier than I've ever seen him. The setting, their posture, and the clothes they had on led me to believe it was intimate. She wasn't a friend.

Why would Kevin do that to me? Was the last year a fucking lie?

I immediately clicked her tag, going full detective and wanting to rip him a new one. The unknown girl had posted the same picture, and after some digging, I found out that it was his ex before he met me. I ran into a problem with her before, but he told me that he didn't have feelings for her. That he didn't like her. She fucking cheated on him. I even saw comments that Kevin had posted on her pictures while we were together. That hurt.