16. Harmless Cuddles

We stood in front of the beautiful French doors, and I wondered what would happen next

We stood in front of the beautiful French doors, and I wondered what would happen next. I could only imagine what went through a man's head after a date—wondering if he should kiss the girl or hug her? Maybe just leave? In my mind, I couldn't wait to yell at Joey for trying to text me during a date.

"Well, I guess that concludes our date. Thanks for coming out with me," Chris said as he awkwardly walked closer towards me.

I took a deep breath and looked into his dark eyes. "I had a great time. Thank you for taking me out."

"Maybe we can do it again?" He said and gulped.

I quickly replied. "I'd like that."

He seemed to be overthinking, which I understand. I took it upon myself to kiss the corner of his lips. He dug his hands into both pockets and blushed.

"I'll see you soon, Riley."

I smiled as he walked down to his car. He glanced back a few times while I waited for him to drive off.

When he left the driveway, I quietly made my way back into the house. I couldn't help but smile because Chris is actually a decent guy. We made a good conversation for a first date, and that's one thing I liked. But I didn't want anything right away, but it seems like he knows what he wants—he may be trying to get over his ex-wife.

As soon as I turned around, the blonde from the beach was leaving. She smiled and pushed her way out of the house. Seconds later, a half-dressed Joey appeared down the steps. A white towel hung almost perfectly off of his waist as sweat dripped down his chest. My eyes got lost on his abs like I haven't seen him shirtless before. I swallowed the thick lump in my throat as neither of us spoke.

Not only did his muscles strain against everything he wore, but in a towel? That's different. I sucked in a sharp breath of air at his exposed body.

"It's not nice to not reply to text messages." His deep voice broke me from the trance I found myself in.

I quickly shot back. "Did you send those messages when you were deep inside of that girl? It's rude to text when you're on a date, Joey. But I guess you wouldn't know that."

He laughed. "I actually had the message typed but couldn't bring myself to send it at first. Then I did." He wet his lips. "And I didn't fuck her. We swam."

"Why did you?" I asked, ignoring what he said. Part of me didn't believe him.

He shrugged, and I watched his muscles flex. "In case he wasn't telling you."

I bit down on my lip. "You don't have to worry about that. He told me plenty of times. I had a great time; you should try it."

"Did you really . . . have a great time?" He pressed like I was lying.

I softly pushed past him. "Goodnight, Joey."

I headed towards the steps without looking back until he asked, "Can you at least text me back?"