thirty - four

"Yeah, I'm sure it's going to be crazy right now."

Chenle talks with Minhyung as they make their way into the office as Donghyuck texted them last night about Jeno getting drunk. Chenle also is discussing the news about Jungwoo's and Minju's big scandal in which Minhyung knows that Jeno is not going to be pleased to listen to. However, they meet with a surprise themselves when Chenle opens the door for the two, and Jeno is working quietly on the computer as Donghyuck is not to be found around the office.

"Morning...captain. You should have rested for a few days."

"No, I got permission to start working on cases again."

"What about the shoot?"

There is a pause as Jeno doesn't respond for a quick second as Minhyung and Chenle both make eye contact before they turn to Jeno who replies back without a change in his expression, "Jisung will be in charge of watching her and training her now."

"Did something happen between you two?"

Someone intervenes into their conversation with a heavy breathe as Jisung holds onto the door post as he tries to catch his breath from running. Minhyung helps him up as Jisung puts all his weight on the other as he asks worriedly, "Aren't you supposed to be with Minju-sshi?"

Jeno's ears perk up noticeably at her name as he looks up slowly to look at Jisung, who still trying to catch his breath. After a few seconds, he manages to stand up on his own before responding back with his eyes shaking in tremble and worry, "She's at the station. Um...she's planning to report Xiyeon for defamation of character."

Walking towards the crowd of reporters and journalists who are blocking the door to the entrance, Jeno orders Chenle and Jisung to stop them from entering as Minhyung walks over to Johnny to find out the details of what is happening. Jeno watches from the side as Minju is getting investigated towards the truth as she plans to sue Xiyeon for lying on television. Jeno is well-aware about the scandal that took place during the morning news. Someone taps him on the shoulder from behind as Taeil tries to peer through his shoulder as he whispers against Jeno's ear, "I heard."

Jeno shrugs his shoulders before replying back as he rests his back against the wall, "Well, I don't know"

"You've been stuck to her for a long time; shouldn't you know?"

"Not my business."

Taeil rolls his eyes in response to Jeno's blunt response as the older then continues to talk to the younger, "So, I talked to Doyoung about the case and he did not get any weird or interesting phone calls or visits. I'm clear that you need to talk with your cousin about the whole situation. How about taking Minhyung or Johnny with you since they're on the detective-investigating team?"

Jeno fumbles with his fingers unknowingly as he stares at the ceiling as he is not sure on how to respond and react to the whole situation that his cousin might be a suspect to the attack. He bit his lip before replying back with an unsure response, "I suppose. But I know Taemin hyung is kind of busy throughout the week. I would need to set an appointment with him. And there isn't actual proof as the suspect's face is still not confirmed."

"In my thought, I don't want to put it off for too long. Someone else can be danger."

Taeil pats the younger's shoulder gently to assure him before turning around as he whistles and walks back to his office. Jeno is deep in thought by himself that he did not notice someone walks near him as they clear their throat. Jeno looks up from staring at the floor before he immediately feels his ears reddening as Minju peers at him quietly. She stands behind him as she wishes to be hidden from the public as she asks with worry, "How are you feeling?"

"Why are you here?"

"I needed to tell the truth. My image is destroyed because of her."

Jeno is about to leave but Minju stops him from doing so as she asks with a shaking voice, "Why are you acting so differently?"

"I just feel that Jisung has much more potential. I have way too many problems to protect someone for hours, Minju-sshi."

The formality starts to kick in which distances the two even more. MInju feels her chest tightening at the change of his action as she stares at the other's backside quietly as she feels her heart painfully beating slowly. Jeno, himself, couldn't keep a straight face as he couldn't really do anything. The silence deepens between the two as Jeno then excuses himself from the conversation and continues to leave down the hallways.

In a sense of desperation, something stops him from completely walking away as a pair of arms wrap around his back as Minju back-hugs him tightly to stop him from leaving. They both freeze in the process as Minju does not know where this is all coming from but her mouth already spills her deep want for his presence, "Don't leave me. I want you to keep protecting me...Jeno."

Jeno does not know how to respond to this but his impulse actions start to act without him even knowing. The next thing they both realize, he pulls her away from the hallways and into a random office that is empty. It is one of the interrogating rooms where it is currently being used as a storage room. The rows and stacks of boxes decorate the darkroom as Minju is now pushed gently against the door where no one can see them from the window. They both stare at each other quietly as Jeno traps her within his arms as the breathing between the two can be the only things heard within the room.

Her curious, glistening orbs stare quietly at his dark, big eyes in which neither can pull away from. Jeno does not know how to act towards this as Minju's grasp on his arms tightens as they can hear people walking past the room to look for Minju. She hides her face against his chest quietly to not be caught, and for the first time, Jeno feels his own heart racing immediately. The beats can also be felt strongly as Minju realizes how loud his heart is thumping rapidly against his chest.

She turns her head up slightly to stare at the male who is also trying to grasp the situation of what's happening. Without a single thought and an immediate feel of regret rising, she tiptoes on her feet as she is wearing sneakers. She leans in and closes her eyes tightly to kiss Jeno's lips softly as she places her hands onto the male's burning cheeks as well. Jeno widens his eyes at her sudden change as he holds onto the door with one hand and the other on her waist for support. He closes his eyes soon after as Minju continues to cradle the other's cheeks softly to assure him that everything is okay...and that she really wants him to not run away.

And he, as well, find it even more difficult to run away from the situation. So he decides to run to it instead by kissing her back softly as both rapid heartbeats run at the same time as the soft kiss continues for a few minutes within the empty room in which they both really appreciated.