forty - eight

one year later...

"That's me?"

Jungwoo smiles and nods a million times as Minju confusingly stares at her blockbuster movie. She doesn't seem to realize who she is because she lost her complete memory of herself and everyone around her. Jungwoo feeds her a small piece of strawberry and replies with a laugh, "It really is."

"I was on tv?"

"Yes, you were."

Minju pouts a little in response as Jungwoo stands up to clear the plate of food that Minju just ate. They are down in the countryside where Minju recovers somewhere quiet and different. She turns her head towards Jungwoo as she hopefully asks, "Where is Jaehyun?"

Jungwoo throws the empty plate away in the trashcan as he leans down to gently squish her cheek. "Jaehyun isn't going to be here today. You sure do love little kids don't you?"

Minju nods with an optimistic expression as she replies back positively, "He really is the sweetest."

"Are you sure you're my girlfriend?"

Minju shrugs her shoulders and replies back with a teasing manner, "Are you sure you are my boyfriend? I woke up with no memory so how can you be sure that you are actually my boyfriend?"

Jungwoo places his hands up in defeat as Minju laughs as she manages to win their little game. He opens the door in which two young girls come running inside as they yell Minju's name in excitement.

"Wonyoung and Yujin, right?"

Both of the little girls nod in excitement as Minju claps excitingly as she enjoys their company. Jungwoo watches them from afar before deciding to get some fresh air as he makes his way out towards the lobby. He is aware that one person is waiting for her nonstop in the lobby so he decides to go inform him once more.

"Jungwoo-shi."

Jungwoo turns his head to the side as his name is being called, and he lets out a slight smile in respect. Jeno stands tall in front of Jungwoo replies back, "Came back again? Is it a routine for you to go see Minhyung then Minju?"

Jeno lets out a soft chuckle as he replies back with a sigh, "It makes me feel a little better. How is she today?"

"She doesn't remember anything still..It's been about 7 months since she woke up from her coma.. But still no progress. She sometimes forgets about me as well."

"Boyfriend?"

"You know that Minju is my priority for right now."

Jeno nods in defeat as he humbles himself quietly as he stares down at the ground and his feet as Jungwoo walks away to get a visitor pass for Jeno. He warns Jeno as they make their way towards Minju's room, "Don't reveal yourself and make her confused."

"You remind me every day."

"I never found myself trusting you each time."

Jeno changes into the outfit that he always wears: a big teddy bear outfit with his face hidden behind the mask. Jeno knocks on the door before one of the little girls run over to open the door in excitement. Minju turns her face up with a bright smile as Wonyoung yells happily, "Tommy!"

Yujin and Wonyoung both hug the animal as Jeno does his best to act like someone who works at a children's center playing dress-up. He waves at everyone and finds himself staring at Minju again as she waves back with excitement. He remembers whenever Minju would smile at him before but this is different.....Minju isn't smiling out of love..just a friendly manner.

The two girls drag him over to Minju's bed and makes him sit down on the edge. Wonyoung asks excitingly, "How do you always know when we are here?"

Jeno chuckles gently as he rubs the younger's head, "I have special powers to know."

They all interact except for Minju as she finds it amusing to watch two little girls adoring a giant teddy bear who could talk. The chuckle seems familiar...maybe she gets it confused at times with her weird dreams lately. She always visions a faceless man who calls her name with a small, awkward chuckle. The person in the teddy bear suit seems to have a similar chuckle.

Jungwoo decides to give the two some alone time as he stands up from the corner, "Who wants strawberry milk?"

Yujin and Wonyoung both raise their hands as Minju asks Jeno politely, "Would you like one too?"

Jeno shakes his head as Yujin drags Jungwoo outside so that they can get their milk. For children who has heart issues, they sure get excited and like to run around a lot despite always getting told not to do so. Wonyoung chases after them as she complains that she wants to hold the handsome man's hand too.

Jeno and Minju are left alone in the room as she stares at the teddy bear face as she asks carefully, "Could you take off the mask? It must be stuffy."

She is actually so curious about what the male looked like despite always being hidden behind a costume. Jeno is tempted to do so, but he knows that he shouldn't. He is only there to see her face, and he knows that her memory shouldn't be triggered by his presence. Jeno replies back with a faint laugh, "No, it's against the rule. No one can see my face."

"Did my boyfriend tell you not to because of the kids?"

The word boyfriend makes Jeno's heart sink inside as he remembers how short-lived their relationship was but he enjoyed being called her boyfriend whenever they were together. It feels awfully hurtful hearing that from her but it means someone else.

"That too, but...I don't think it's right for you to see as well."

"What does that mean?"

Jeno sits a little closer to her as he reaches his palm out carefully. His hands are covered by the paws but Minju seems to understand as she gently places her palm above his. He stares at her pale hand quietly as he then replies back with a sad smile, "Because I have a girlfriend who's also sick right now. And I don't think she would like it if I revealed my face to a pretty patient as well who was once a movie star."

Minju cringes in response as she pulls her hand back immediately as she replies in disgust, "You're making fun of me too now?"

Jeno shrugs his shoulders as the two just start laughing afterwards. But Minju doesn't know what prompts her to ask but she feels the urge to do so. "How does your girlfriend look like?"

Jeno turns his attention down towards the door as he realizes that he can't look at Minju any longer. Minju's appearance changed within the year. Her hair is now dark black and cut short up to her shoulders. Her face no longer radiates bright energy but paleness as she is still ill. Her head is still wrapped in bandages as the doctors fear for her wound even if they managed to get the bullet out.

Jeno sighs heavily before replying back sadly, "She...is a feisty person. She is super confident in herself and never afraid to say anything that doesn't please her. She has long brown hair and bangs. Her eyes are huge because she likes to put on a lot of eye makeup. She is super thin like a model yet she eats a lot whenever my friends and I take her out to eat. She had panic attacks whenever she remembered something about her past. She is foul-mouthed and petty, and she only thinks about herself."

He turns his head slightly to stare back at Minju, who is listening carefully. The tears roll down his eyes as he dearly wishes to her hug her again. He then continues as now Minju is well aware that the other is crying, "And she made me realize how to feel emotions again...and risked her life to help me. She is the strongest person I know, and she looks beautiful even without the makeup....and the short hair. She doesn't remember me anymore, but I'm okay with that."