forty - three

Jaemin and Minhyung hurriedly arrive at the location where Jeno is as they are trying to get ahold of him. Jaemin curses under his breathe as Jeno continues to ignore his call as he is getting extremely worried about the safety of his friend. Minhyung looks around to search for the other as he sighs heavily in anger.

Soon, Jaemin points out someone from afar as they both realize that it is Jeno before they start quickly making their way towards the pair as they realize that Minju and Jeno are together. Minhyung groans under his breathe as he sighs angrily because he knows he doesn't want to worry them both. Jaemin knows that they need to give the two some privacy, but he doesn't hesitate on deciding to approach the two.

Jeno turns around quickly as he realizes that someone is approaching them as Jaemin clears his throat to speak up quietly, "Sorry to interrupt."

Minju turns around quickly in response as she clutches onto Jeno's arm as she gets a little bit shocked. Jeno is also taken aback when his colleagues both stand close to him with a smug expression on their faces. Minju awkwardly hides her face against Jeno's arm as she isn't so sure. Jeno scoffs at them slightly as Minhyung apologizes as well since the two single men both feel very awkward to find that the captain who never is into dating someone actually.

"Is it kind of important? I can't believe you actually found me."

"It is...sorry to interrupt your happy moment."

Jaemin, Jeno, and Minhyung are all seated in the living room as Minju sets out some tea for them as they are all resting inside Minju's apartment. She also sets out some crackers for them before slowly making her way inside her own bedroom. They all thank her as she makes her exit since she finds her interest in her phone because she doesn't want to be eavesdropping.

"So what is happening?"

"The new worker seems a little off ever since I realized that he might be someone that we didn't expect."

Jeno looks up to stare at Jaemin before turning his attention to Minhyung, who is nervously just staring at his cup of tea. Jaemin also focuses his attention on the older as Minhyung swallows the growing lump in his throat. He takes a deep breath before he turns his head to glance at Jeno as he also adds to the comment, "He might be connected to your cousin..and it's not in a good way."

"What do you mean?"

"A few days ago, your cousin came by the office and placed a note on your desk. He wrote 5d on it, but it doesn't seem to make much sense. He didn't even explain it to me and rather left the office with me puzzled."

Jeno stares at the steam coming out of the teacup as he restlessly taps his fingers against the table. He slowly drinks his tea silently as he tries to process the information into his head. Jaemin sips his tea quietly as the atmosphere turns cold and bitter like the weather outside. Glancing at the clock, Jeno stands up suddenly which catches the others off guard as he calls out with a sigh, "Well, it's fine. I'll figure it out."

"How the hell are you going to figure that out?"

"I'm sure it's just a plain joke."

"If John's and hyung's connection is actually there, then we need to make sure that we find the evidence in secret."

"No. It's going to be dangerous, Jaemin. It's best to keep it low and not make it obvious." Minhyung commands to the younger as his fingers are tapping uneasy rhythms against the cup as he glances at the two before him.

Jaemin pouts as an immediate response of his idea being dropped as Jeno intervenes into the conversation, "Send John over to the shooting site tomorrow with Chenle."

Jaemin shoots up from his position as he stands up in protest, "What, are you fucking crazy? What if someone gets hurt?"

"It's better if he stays on my watch. It's barely been a week and he's that suspicious? Then it's my job to snag him out of his little show."

Minhyung's gaze starts to burn into Jeno's brain as he ignores looking at the older as he replies hastily, "What about Minju-shi? Her safety is super important."

The unanswered pair turn their attention towards Minju's door as they are not completely sure on what to do. Jeno grumbles to himself as he wishes that they were in a different location because he knows that Minju is listening to their conversation intently behind the closed doors. He responds back confidently even though he has none inside him, "We got to do our best to protect her since we were assigned to do so. I need all of the team's help then."

"So you think they're starting to get suspicious of you?"

Taemin asks with excitement as he sips his coffee dark as the night as he stares out towards the amazing view of the city. John has his head low as he knows that his mission is going to be coming to a close with his death if he doesn't get it done. His one step to infiltrate the swat team is perfectly executed but the rest is unsure. He knows that once Jeno starts to suspect the male, it will take less than a few hours for him to realize that Taemin and John are on the same side.

Taemin clicks his tongue through the empty, quiet awkwardness between them as John is aware that the older is very upset. He folds his hands together and turns his head to glare at his assistant as he angrily starts to speak up, "The moment that he realizes that it was our doing all along, your family won't be safe."

John's position shifts a little uncomfortably as his mother is terribly sick in the hospital and he has to do his best to follow all the rules in order to save her and pay for her bills. Taemin has him wrapped within his fingertips as John bows down even further as he vows loudly with tears falling down his eyes, "I swear to not disappoint you!"

Taemin's dark chuckle can be heard soon after as he then threatens with a lower, powerful tone, "We all die if you make a mistake. And you will be the first one to go if you don't."