Hearing

Nipsey

Nipsey

Today is the day we go to court, My heart beating. Boog been doing a good job trying to calm me the reassurance shit is all I need, I ain't got nothing to be worried about. My stomach had been turning and twisting for days worrying what was going to happen today. I wasn't the only one with knots tearing up my insides. Sam was worried too. He had been smoking more all week while trying to hide that fact from Sammy. He tried to hide it from me, but gave that up early I know him to well.

"We gotta find a way to keep her, Ermias. Maybe... maybe I can apply for guardianship if the judge takes it from you," My mom suggested one night while we were on the phone.

I sat behind Boog, wanting desperately to sit with her, but that wasn't allowed. They wouldn't let Sammy sit with me either, just the public defender the court provided. Emani was scared, I knew her well enough to see it. When she wasn't wiping the tears from her face she kept her hands together, or sat on them, or bit on her nails. Her body language told me she wanted to run, but even I knew that wasn't gonna happen. I couldn't do anything for her, leaving me feeling as helpless as I did the day I had to drop her off.

This is the hearing, the one where the judge hears what happened to cause all this mess and tries to figure out what to do about it. It's the day we have all been dreading, knowing it might just be our last day together for a long time or this situation may continue.

We were all sweating bullets, Case number 21537, custody hearing for Ashgedom, Dior Emani, is now in session. The honorable judge Toyler Parker, presiding.

.The judge went through what they were going to be disscusing. "Lawyers make your opening statements." The judge announced. The lawyers got up and explained the situation.

"People call Emani Dior to the stand." My lawyer announced. Emani stood up and walked to the stand. She made the oath and smiled at Samantha. Samantha smiled back and waited.

"Emani, does your father ever abuse you?" My lawyer asked.

"No." Emani said her smile fading.

"Does your mother?"

"No." Emani hesitated.

"You seemed a little unsure. Can you read the question back to her sir?" The judge trailed back In her chair tapping her pen.

"Does your mother abuse you?"

"She yells, I dont know if that's abuse"

"Who would you rather stay with?" lawyer asked. Emani stared at Tanisha and was thinking. She didn't nod because she knew that was to obvious.

"Daddy." Emani said, Causing Tanisha and her lawyer to stand shocked at the answer.

"That's all your honor." My lawyer said sitting down. Tanisha lawyer was up next. You could tell that Tanisha was kind of hurt by what she had said. Her lawyer stood up and walked over towards Emani.