Rakesh's Mess

Its been 2 weeks since my cousin was admitted in the hospital and we started chemotherapy which was not as successful as we hoped but everything was not lost. We needed to perform another surgery on her and she was very weak right now to get it done so it was postponed by a week.

It was Monday again I reached the hospital as usual and started the rounds to check on my patients. Interns and I reached the last room that is my cousin's room for further examination.

"Hello, good morning" . Mrs.Ranawat I greeted formally. 

"Good morning Dr" she greeted me back.

I asked the intern to present the case and explain the situation, when the intern started explaining I frowned at the words he was using and sighed knowing I will have to do it again for the patients sake.

"Good" I said to the intern. 

I turned to kruthika and said "I see a little progress not as much as I liked but it is definitely improvement that I see in your charts, Don't worry Dr.Rakesh (Intern who explained) will take care of you and if you need to see me just tell him and I will be with you ASAP".

I looked at Mr. Ranawat "How are you doing " I asked.

"I am well doctor" he replied.

"Well I will see you in the evening" I said looking at kruthika and smiled at her.

I walked outside along with the interns I looked at Rakesh and said "what is that you did wrong with the patient inside, Do you realize it?" I questioned.

"No ma'am. Sorry" he replied.

"Anyone" I questioned one of them raised hand.

"Yes" I prompted her to answer.

"He explained everything in medical terms he should have done it layman terms" she replied.

"Good explain that to your friend here and also remind him of his mistake as much as possible, what you did inside creates anxiety to the patient and that is the last state that the patient's mentality should be in before she goes for surgery. Do you understand me, looking after the patient when your friends help me with a surgery is your punishment". I said.

"I am sorry ma'am. Wont happen again I will keep that in mind" he answered.

"Good learn from your mistakes now and you will succeed" I said. 

"Now I have sent a mail to all of you regarding your tasks for the week and who will be assisting in what surgery". i explained. 

I looked at the girl who answered the question and said "Pick out any surgery from his(rakesh) list and you will assist me on that surgery".

"Thank you ma'am". She replied happily.

I smiled at all of them and said "What are you all waiting for, Chop Chop....".

I went to my cabin and started getting ready for a surgery after continuous 2 surgeries for the day and 5 consultations I was done and I went to my cousin's room.

I knocked and went inside and collapsed on the chair adjacent to her bed "Ah what a day" I said. 

"Productive or unproductive" she asked jokingly.

"Definitely productive" I replied smiling.

"You know you didn't have to be so strict with that intern" she said.

"You heard that?" i asked.

"Yeah the door was slightly open" she said.

"Well anyways he wants to be a pediatric surgeon so he has to learn to explain better than what he did with you". i replied. 

"Leave all that and yeah mum's coming to see you tomorrow again" i said.

"Oh... why!!! she didn't have to" she replied.

"Well tell that to her, my parents have taken over my room and after 2 days gyan(my sister) is going to take over my guest room and i will be back on my couch" i said to her pitifully.

"I don't know what is more distressing than that" she said sarcastically. "you could share that guest room with your sister". she said.

"You know my problem kruthika, i don't share and upon that i will keep cleaning the room half the time i stay there. my sister is extremely messy".

"You still got that problem, oh my god i thought it was a stage of teenage rebellion" she asked. 

"No and i think i'll crash in your room for some days it will be heaven to have sleep for more than 5 hours continuously". i said.

I was interrupted with a knock she said "Come in".

It was the intern. when she came in "Yes any problem" i asked 

"No ma'am i just decided on the surgery i want to assist with you" she replied. 

"Already, which is it?" i asked curiously.

"Yes ma'am, i want in with the ventricular septal defect" she said excitedly.

"Ohhh, you were just waiting to pull that right of his hands weren't you?"  i said jokingly.

"Nothing like that ma'am, it's just that i really want to see the surgery being performed" she said. 

"Is he burning up with jealousy yet?" i questioned referring to rakesh.

"He is miserable ma'am" she said smiling like she just won a lottery.

"Good then he will remember it for life and ask him to see me before he leaves for the day" i said.

"Okay ma'am" she said and left. 

"You know you are horrible" kruthika said 

Karan and I laughed along with kruthika. we were chatting when rakesh came inside and greeted me and the patient.

"Present the case rakesh and explain the progress and way ahead from this point" i said.

He explained everything perfectly and looked at me for feedback.

"Very good rakesh that is how you do it. Continue to do it like that i am sure you will be a very good pediatric surgeon. You may leave" i said.

"Thank you ma'am. I will see you tomorrow kruthika" he said and left.

"Well that went fine. Okay i will leave you to your rest and don't forget ma is coming tomorrow make sure you give me a good review so that i don't have to hear her lecture" i joked

Both of them were laughing and with that i left the hospital.

Author's Note:

Please leave a comment and don't feel shy to like it if you actually liked the story thus far. Thank you so much. I will try updating as regularly as possible. If possible recommend it to you friend's in the community.