Restless Night

It is Wednesday afternoon at 1:00 PM, I am already tired as heck but can't go home as I have my consultations left. I sometimes wonder whether what all I do is worth the sleepless nights I endure. My last patient for the day entered my cabin.

"Raunak(The child with VSD from USUAL DAY chapter), How are you?" I asked.

"I am fine, But Mumma wanted me to come here and ask whether I will be fine?" He said.

"Very well, Come hop on," I said indicating the examining bed.

"Do you feel any pain?" I questioned examining the operated region.

"No, but When can I play?" He asked.

"Well champ, Are you taking your medicines regularly?" I asked.

"Yes, Mumma makes me take it" He replied.

"Do you breathe properly now? Do you feel the need to stop walking and breathe before walking again?" I asked.

"No, but I can't breathe properly after climbing 2 floors" He replied.

"Okay, You are done, Come get down," I said.

I looked at Raunak's parents and said: "He is absolutely fine, there is no swelling, there is no infection, The reports are also fine, He is healthy as a horse".

"Thank you so much doctor," Raunak's father said.

"It is my job, sir," I said smiling at them.

"Can I play?" Raunak asked again.

"Yes, you can play as much as you want but don't stress yourself out okay," I said.

"Will we have to come again?" Raunak's mother asked.

"No, there is no need but if he complains about any type of pain then come," I said

"This is for you, I made it myself," Raunak said handing me a thank you card when all of them stood up to leave.

"Aww, Thank you so much Ranauk, I love it," I said hugging him and giving him a big smile.

"Thank you so much once again, doctor," Raunak's parents said.

"It was my pleasure treating him," I said smiling.

I packed up and left for my home after that. I remembered the parent's smile and thought that it was worth all the sleepless nights. I entered the home only to stop and groan.

"Why is my home always filled with people I mean I slept peacefully for two days and you two come to disturb that peace," I said looking at my sister and best friend.

"I have exams and need help," my sister said.

"I am hungry and need food," Raghav said.

"My home is not a restaurant," I said looking at Raghav and "Why do you still study last minute?" I said to my sister exasperated.

"Pack me some food I will leave, " Raghav said.

"Ahhh, I hate you both," I said.

"Nope, You love us " Gyan replied giving a high-five to Raghav. 

Raghav left after having dinner and I started clearing all my sister's doubts. It was 12:30 AM and we were about to go to sleep when my phone rang. It was Karan.

"Hello, Karan is everything Okay?" I asked.

"No, It's Karthik he has a stomach ache and family doctor is out of the station and all the clinics near our home are closed, Please come I don't know what to do, He is crying a lot." He said