Impending Doom

I came to the hospital as usual and finished my rounds and went for the operation that was scheduled for the day. There were complications during the surgery but the patient survived and had to be kept under constant observations.I came out to see Karan pacing in front of the operation theater.

"What's wrong" i asked fearing the answer.

"She wants to get operated now, That intern from neurology department said she is ready and she is adamant that she wants to get it done with. she is not listening to me, Please you have to do something" he pleaded with me.

"Come with me" i said as i called raghav to inquire about the rash decision that had been taken without the consultation of the cardio department.

"Hello" i said irritably.

"I know, I didn't authorize this, I am looking at the intern right now and demanding him how the hell did he come to this conclusion, Give me some time i will get everything sorted out" he said pleadingly before i even started the rant.

"Get the details and come see the patient first and tell the intern if by any chance she doesn't postpone this surgery even after my talk with her i will have his head raghav and this is the promise i make. He just deprived a patient of her 6 months of life with his irrational and thoughtless decision that too without his senior doctor's authorization". I said. 

"I will do that, Even i am angry but just talk to the patient first, I'll join ASAP" he said.

"You better raghav and get the reports along with you please she is a very practical person she will ask for proof and get that intern along with you so that he can apologize". i said.

"I am on my way" he said and cut the call.

I looked at Karan "Don't worry i am sure she will change her decision, I'll talk to her just don't question me in front of her and accept whatever i say.. okay?"

"If you can convince her, I'll do what ever it takes" he said. 

I entered the room "What have you done? Have you gone mad? What do you think our job is?" i questioned her.

"I am going to get the operation done" she said in her this is my decision voice.

"You know, No where in your reports it said you had suicidal tendencies if it was indicated i would have suggested a psychiatrist for you as well" i said sarcastically.

"I don't know what you are talking about" she said.

"You will die if you get the operation done NOW. You are too weak your rate of survival is below 25% at this stage". i said and looked at her gravely.

Raghav entered along with the intern at the same time.

"But he said i am ready for the operation" she said indicating the intern.

"Yes you ready for the operation if you want to die" raghav intervened. "Mrs. Ranawat intern spoke out of turn i apologize for his mistake and please consider your decision once again" he pleaded.

"Kruthika do you want to deprive your child and husband the time they can have with you just because of a mistake an intern made" i said looking at kruthika and gave a look to Karan saying him to plead NOW.

"Please sweetheart Karthik will be devastated you promised him 6 months please i beg you" he said tearfully.

"I... Okay i'll think about it and get back to both of you" kruthika said.

"Thank you, That is all we ask for" i said.

"We'll give you some time to talk to your family and come to a decision" raghav said. 

We left the room and walked to raghav's cabin to talk about the error that caused this drama. 

"Do you realize your mistake?" i asked the intern.

"Ma'am with all due respect i think the patient is ready for the surgery" he said.

I looked at raghav with Is he for real expression. He looked back at me with See what i have to deal with everyday expression.

"Okay then, Prove it to me, How you think the patient will survive this surgery?" and "I will convince the board for you". i said and the intern looked happy with the decision.

"Ma'am the patient scans clearly show a tumor in region that is completely operable and the surgery i am recommending has been done before and we can give the patient three more months of life ma'am" he said showing me the reports and scans.

"Okay, Have you considered the option where the patient in these reports you are showing me had an unhealthy heart? These show that all these operations were done on patients with normal healthy beating heart. How do plan to keep the heart beating? Can you prove it to me that the patient will survive?" i said.

"Ma'am she is ready mentally to take on the operation is it not enough to go ahead with the operation?" he asked.

"So you are telling me to ignore her physical condition?" i questioned back.

"No ma'am" he said.

"Leave all that, Tell me, How do you plan to keep the heart beating?" i questioned. 

"Ma'am I ..... " he said.

"You didn't consider it did you?" i asked "You just went directly to the patient with an operation that she is sure not to survive and presented it to her. You were so arrogant you did not even ask your fellow interns for their opinion. You were so condescending that you didn't contact cardio department for their opinion".

"No ma'am i didn't think that". he said.

"It appears to me that you did. When board reviews the meeting we are having they will think the same thing.  How do you plan to justify the actions?" i asked.

"I will tell you once and for all I take matters of my department very seriously and what you did today would have been a black mark not only on a single department but the whole hospital as well so be prepared to face the repercussions. Oh... and pray that the patient changes her decision or you will surely lose your job over this issue". I said

"Sir please, I am sorry it wont happen again" he begged looking at raghav. 

I got a call from Karan asking to come to her room 

"Well, Let's go and see your fate Kid" i said to the intern. 

We all walked to kruthika's room to see everyone somber my parents her parents her in-laws and even karthik was there.

"I think i want the surgery to be done in 3 months" she said 

I looked at everyone and at her "Is that your final decision?"

She nodded positively looking at Karan who agreed with her.

"We will get the operation done in 3 months then" i said looking at her and reminding the success rate was low again 

she said she was ready to face the consequences of it.

"Okay then" i said and we walked out i looked at the intern "Well that's your fate kid you have 3 months to prepare the statement and make sure it is  good enough to keep continuing your job".

Raghav and I went away preparing ourselves for the impending DOOM.

Author's Note:

Please leave a comment and don't feel shy to like it if you actually liked the story thus far. Thank you so much. I will try updating as regularly as possible. If possible recommend it to you friend's in the community.