The DOOM

It has been 3 months and it was the day of her operation. Raghav and I knew the end result but as doctors we pray for miracles and it was one of the day's we prayed for one. I looked at the patient in front of me and then back at Raghav who was concentrating and trying to remove as much as tumor as he can without touching the nerves that might affect her motor skills.My only job here was to keep the heart beating.

When i was sure there may be a miracle today i heard Raghav's "shit and suction" i could not deviate from my own job so kept myself looking at her again but problem started in my region also her oxygen levels dropped and heartbeats per minute started going down and we had a flat-line on screen i tried to resuscitate her but we could not save her.

I looked at Raghav and he nodded towards me indicating me to call it.

"Time of death : 24/12/2019 2:30 PM" i said mechanically.

We went outside to tell them the news. Everyone were waiting eagerly to hear the news. I was devastated to give such news to them but it had to be done.

"I regret to inform you that we could not save your wife's life, she was a brave woman she fought it till the end and I can only offer you my deepest condolences " i said. 

"You were supposed to save her" exclaimed Karan.

"I am Sorry" Raghav said.

"She said you were the best and you were our best shot" he said recollecting his dead wife's memory.

"Best of the best fail sometimes and that happened to me for my own cousin's case" said Nirvana tearfully regretting for not saving her cousins life.

"I am sorry" i repeated when Karthik looked at me tearfully. I could not save his mother that is what he will remember and i will have that burden throughout my life.

I left them there with Raghav i had to cry i went to my cabin and started crying. My parents hugged me and were consoling me. We doctors are blessed many times because we save lives but we are cursed even more because we can't save so many more. We lead a life of absolute hell and heaven. Times like this i want to quit but time like when i save a patient i realize why i do this.

"It's okay kanna you tried your best" ma said.

"You need to be strong" pa said.

I looked at them and realized they were right. I had no right to cry i tried whatever i could do to save her, So what happened was not in my hands, What happens will also be not in my hands, What i can do is make the best of every situation.

I stood up and looked at my parents and nodded towards them and walked out to go the place of Kruthika's parents.

I looked at aunt and uncle they were crying very badly Raghav was explaining what happened in the theater when i joined him to know that the tumor burst mid operation and i continued from there telling him how the heart stopped beating immediately.

I looked at Karthik and said "Your mother was a very brave women she fought very hard against tumor to stay with you, you remember her happy memories and honor her.. okay?" i said

He was crying badly i went and hugged him and told "Be brave son just like your mother was and that is what she would have wanted" i said knowing he probably didn't understand what was going on.

I gave Karthik to Karan and said "You need to be strong for him, If you break now you will lose your child, He doesn't understand what is happening explain it to him, Install normalcy in his life, Make sure he doesn't feel the need of a mother in his life" i said.

Karan looked at me and nodded taking Karthik and asked whether they could take Kruthika home.

"I will get everything done" i said and left from there along with raghav. 

I got the forms ready got them signed and handover-ed the body to Karan.

I took a leave for 2 days mentioning it as family emergency and left from there to reach Ranawat's home for Kruthika's last rites.

Author's Note:

Please leave a comment and don't feel shy to like it if you actually liked the story thus far. Thank you so much. I will try updating as regularly as possible. If possible recommend it to you friend's in the community.