4: self-aware

I was falling asleep in the middle of World Literature class and the teacher was talking about Oedipus Rex. Honestly, I love literature, especially if it's legends or myths, but for some unknown reason, I just feel tired.

My eyes started to shut on their own will, but out of nowhere, I heard pages being flipped and then a few seconds later I woke up when I heard Teacher Nam's bossy voice in front of the class.

I rubbed my eyes and whispered to myself, "What is the math teacher doing here? Wasn't it just World Lit a few seconds ago?"

Then Baek Kyung spoke up, waking me up fully.

"What are you talking about now?" he asked, sounding confused and amused at the same time. I looked over at him and saw Kyung's left eyebrow raised. Then Namju joins in with a worried look, "Did you study well? It's the mock exams today."

What the?

I turned my head back to the front of the class and saw the words 'Mock Exam' written on the blackboard.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Mock exams... Already? Am I dreaming right now?" I asked myself as I looked around the room.

Then Teacher Nam passes by and hands me 3 blank sheets of the mock exam papers. I looked at it carefully and saw that I'm not dreaming at all.

What is going on right now?

사작!

"Woah! I hope I got most of the questions right!" Ahn Soochul exclaims out of nowhere.

I looked down at the papers on my desk and saw that they were the exam papers for the 1st Semester.

"What the hell is happening?" I muttered under my breath as I watched the Class President take my exam papers away.

"Ara, did you have a hard time on the English exam?" Namju's voice brought me back to my senses as I tried to figure out what was happening to me. I turned around in my seat to face my cousin and his friend.

I looked at the two boys and spoke up, "Um... No, but-"

사작!

I heard it again and this time I also heard Eun Danoh going crazy by her desk.

I looked at her and heard her suddenly asking Saemi and Soochul on what day it was and what had happened to both the mock and 1st-semester exams.

"She noticed that, too?" I whispered to myself as I stood up and started to walk to her desk, but then I heard the flipping of pages.

"You've gotta be kidding-"

사작!

I instantly found myself outside of the classroom and waving at someone who was walking towards me. I squinted my eyes to get a better vision of who it is and saw Lee Dohwa with his warm smile.

"Hello, Ara!" He greeted me once he stood in front of me.

I smiled at my positive friend and greeted him back.

The he said, "Namju told me to keep you company during lunchtime since his mother just called him and Kyung's got tennis practice."

That's quite a surprise...

"Is that so?" I asked, earning myself another smile from Dohwa.

"Well, it has been awhile since we've eaten together," I added in as I waited for the sound of pages flipping, but after Dohwa started to walk to where the cafeteria is at, I didn't hear anything else aside from the chattering of students in the corridor.

And I thought to myself quietly, "It must've been a dream during World Lit class."

But why do I suddenly feel different? Like, I can just walk around and say anything without being... controlled by someone higher than me?

published: 12 - 31 - 19

edited: 12 - 31 - 19