resolutions • c.yj

0.8k WORDS;

 warnings: fluff, f2ls, roommate au, mutual pining, alcohol, and confessions

"No friends tonight, Youngjae?" You muttered to your roommate in surprise. You've been locked up in your room unbeknownst that Youngjae was still home. Usually he's out with his friends on these sort of these occasions.

Youngjae shrugged. "They're all busy with their families or partners. So, no party for me." He giggled. You smiled, knowing you wouldn't be welcoming the new year alone for third year in a row. Also the fact that Youngjae would be welcoming the new year with you. It caused butterflies in erupt in your stomach.

Youngjae has been your roommate for two years, three in 2020, and unfortunately you've held a crush on him over your head for the past year. You blamed his smile, you blamed his contagious laugh, you blamed his overflowing talent, but never blamed your stupid heart for being so weak.

The irrational thought of confessing to Youngjae right when the new year hit flashed throughout your mind quickly. It caused you to widened your eyes at yourself. Why in the world would you embarrass yourself like that?

Youngjae is way out of your league, despite his state of singleness, you knew you couldn't tell him.

"You okay, ___?" Youngjae questioned your frozen state. You gripped the cabinet handle before letting go and turning around to Youngjae. A sudden anxiousness filling your body.

"Nothing. Just going back in my room." You tried to flee the situation.

"Don't you want to spend the new years with me? The countdown is about to begin." Youngjae pouted. You sighed, swallowing your fear to face reality. Reality didn't include running away from your very obvious problems.

"Why not?"

"Happy new year!" You both shouted from your balcony. Having a great look of your city and its midnight lights. Catching a couple bursts of colors in your peripheral. Spending time with Youngjae somehow melted away your fear of admitting your feelings for him.

But he also somehow brought it back.

"Hey, how about instead of kissing why not share something with each other? Like in honor of this being our third year." Youngjae nudged your arm next to his on the railing. You choked on your champagne. Knowing that you were just worrying about confessions.

"Yea, yea. Sounds fine." You managed to choke out anyway.

"I'll go first, your favorite stuffed animal didn't just disappear last summer when you were on vacation with your friends. Bambam threw up on it one wasted night and I obviously disposed of it and have been lying to you this whole time."

Your jaw slacked in shock, you turned your head to Youngjae. Causing him to break out in laughter. "Youngjae," You whined and hit his shoulder. "I wasn't able to sleep peacefully for a month."

"I was kind of glad for that situation. You came into my room for comfort almost every night for all of August." That memory lit a fire to your cheeks. You had nearly forgotten about all the sleepovers in Youngjae's room you had ignited. There were jokes, late night talks, and weird longing stares you gave each other. Overall it was just the peak of your roommate- ship.

"Really?" You furrowed your eyebrows at him.

"Yea. At first I would get scared when you just stood in my doorway half-asleep but it really is cute." Youngjae said. You giggled and hit his shoulder again.

"What? It's true. All of your habits are cute. Except for this one though, I think you got this from me." He referred to the fact you always hit him when you're bashful or embarrassed. Something you did pick up from him.

"I'm not cute." You rolled your eyes.

"I said your habits," Youngjae started. "You never gave me the chance to say that you're beautiful." Youngjae stared right into your soul. You hoped he didn't notice the fact you were about to faint from his sudden choice of compliment.

"Are you messing with me right now?" You narrowed your eyes, still maintaining your eye contact with him.

He simply shook his head. You couldn't believe what was happening. Your first conversation of 2020 is possibly going to be life changing.

"___, I wanted to tell you this sooner but I really like you. And I started this little game hoping I built up the courage to tell you. I guess I did." He smiled small, losing the staring contest. Youngjae averted his attention to the view that still accompanied many fireworks.

You opened your mouth and closed it repeatedly before figuring out the right thing to say. "Well, I guess it's fitting that I have a crush on you too." You whispered, sipping on your champagne.

Youngjae looked at you, "Seriously?"

"Seriously." You nodded.

"I've been wanting to tell you too. And I was attempting to do it tonight as well."

"I guess we both checked something off of our resolutions then?"

"Yea, I guess so."

FIN.