37.

E R I C

"Eric you are going to play for her!?", David yelled on the mike when I announced so.
"So what!? Any problem!?", I said nonchalantly.

He shook his head still in daze and I decided to ignore this dickhead tonight as much as possible.
According to him, in his words, "The Asshole got whipped!"

He has started his new theory this particular time, that something is breeding between me and Erica.
His exact words were, "You both act like married couple. Caring yet fighting with each other. God! Both my single friends got mingled together. I feel like I am on top of this world!", followed by his dramatic salsa, which makes me think he is a gay, and I openly point it out.

I kept a hand on her waist and guided her towards the stage.
The band was already settled and two places were left for us. The piano was across the mic where she would sing. So I would get a heartfull of her view.

"Eric I am scared!", She said meekly.

I held her hand and squeezed it in assurance, "Don't look anywhere except my eyes. You'll think I am the only one listening. Ok!"

She nodded furiously and I signalled David to tell the light man to switch off all the light, except the spotlights.

She stood before the mic, and I gave her a reassuring smile before heading towards the piano.
The lights went off and then two spotlights turned on.
One on her, and one on me.

I could see her eyes shut tightly, and so I decided to break the silence.
I pressed the b-flat key, and her eyes opened immediately and turned to me.

I started the music with a light tone, and then the band started to follow my lead.
Erica was all the while staring in my eyes.

And as if my eyes gave her some courage, she began to sing in the most exquisite voice I ever heard,

"Two kids with their hearts on fire
Who's gonna save us now?
When we thought that we couldn't get higher
Things started looking down
I look at you and you look at me
Like nothing but strangers now
Two kids with their hearts on fire
Don't let it burn us out"

Her eyes were saying much more than the words of her song. And at that particular moment, I could see she was thinking about our hearts, that were actually on fire. And how meeting each other, was like sprinkling ice on that fire.

"Think about what you believe in now
Am I someone you cannot live without?
'Cause I know I don't wanna live without you, yeah
Come on, let's turn this all around
Bring it all back to that bar downtown
When you wouldn't let me walk out on you, yeah."

A strange urge for those words to be meant for me and only me rose in me. Why would I want myself to be a subject for her sentences?!

"You said, "Hey, whatcha doing for the rest of your life?"
And I said, "I don't even know what I'm doing tonight"
Went from one conversation to your lips on mine
And you said, "I never regretted the day that I called you mine"
So I call you mine."

We exchanged smiles full of affection.

"(Ooh, ah, ooh)
Can I call you mine? (Ooh)
And you said, "I never regretted the day that I called you mine"

"Broke kids running through the city
Drunk on the subway train
Set free every time you kissed me
We couldn't feel no pain
You looked at me and I looked at you
Like we'd never look away
Broke kids running through the city
Don't let the memory fade

You said, "Hey, whatcha doing for the rest of your life?"
And I said, "I don't even know what I'm doing tonight"
Went from one conversation to your lips on mine
And you said, "I never regretted the day that I called you mine"
So I call you mine"

Something in me yelled that these are the unsaid words between us. Other part of me, the more rational one denied it. 'Us' is no concept!' It said.

"Can I call you mine? (Ooh)
And you said, "I never regretted the day that I called you mine"

Think about what you believe in now
Am I someone you cannot live without?
'Cause I know I don't wanna live without you, yeah
Come on, let's turn this all around
Bring it all back to that bar downtown
When you wouldn't let me walk out on you, yeah

You said, "Hey, whatcha doing for the rest of your life?"
And I said, "I don't even know what I'm doing tonight"
Went from one conversation to your lips on mine
And you said, "I never regretted the day that I called you mine"
So I call you mine (Ooh)
And you said, "I never regretted the day that I called you mine"
Can I call you mine? (Ooh, ah, ooh)

Can I call you mine?"

When her sound seized, I felt elated and accomplished for I was the one to force her to sing.
This woman before me does wonders with her voice. And I realized I am not the only one to feel proud of her when the lights switched on, and I saw my father and mother clapping like they won over the world.

David and Venus too looked so elated hysterically clapping for her.
But when I looked back at her, her eyes were still on me.

And then I stood up and clapped for her.
"I am proud of you!", I mouthed to her, and she let out a breath of relief, as my compliment was the only one mattered. And not the thousands of claps echoing in the party hall.

Everyone started approaching her to appreciate her, and our sight of each other broke.
I got that as a cue to fade in the background, before everyone again realises that I am the birthday boy.

Finding the easiest way out, one that could assure me some air, I came in one balcony. There was a beautiful view of Rome walking below me. And I couldn't help myself but feel like I am a part of it.
The city of Romance!

Few minutes smiling to myself, and my reverie broke when I was yanked back with a force, and a pair of familiar lips landed on mine!