69.

David was fast asleep on the couch, and Ms.Embrey was lost in her own thoughts, when I entered the room after attending the doctor's meeting.

As if sensing me, she looked at me and smiled weakly, "You are here."

I nodded.

"Come sit with me. David brought a coffee for you, it's there on the table."

I went to the table, and poured the hot brimming coffee from the insulated bottle into a coffee mug that was kept along with it.

I was already tired from all the exhuriatiating discussion.
"They say you will be ready for your operation by next week. Today, they will start some medications needed prior to prepare the body."

She nodded, "You don't have to do all this Eric. I know the treatment costs alot."

"Money is no concern for me Ms.Embrey. And you are Erica's mother. I am responsible towards you."

She smiled, "I am glad she has you. You are a nice gentleman!"

Only if she knew, that I am anything but gentleman. I feel David didn't bitch about me.

"I was asking David before if he can tell me how you and Erica met...I mean you probably met her years before...but I am curious how you both came to this stage?"

Though I don't really talk about us to anyone, I feel I am obliged to answer.
When the question of Erica's family came over, I was wondering if she had a strict asshole brother, and I had to convince him that I love her, so he wouldn't beat the shit out of me.

Well, if Eve was here, I would have been that kind of brother. It won't come as a shock if Eve had to remain single for whole her life.

And here Erica's mother is the only one I need to impress, but I will be honest.

"When Erica came in our family, I was not living with them. I was in California, with David doing my studies. After graduation, I never came back and settled in California managing one of my father's hotel to get in practice. When I bought a penthouse in Italy and shifted there, Erica was already in US, working for Dad as a PA. I used to go back and forth between my places in Italy and California. If I ever came, I used to stay at my grandmother's place. And Erica was living with mom and dad. Though I was always aware there is a certain girl, my parents adore very much but we never happened to meet.

We met when I finally took over as CEO, and dad decided that I have to work with her as my PA. To be honest, I didn't like her much then. No doubt she was excellent in her work, but I expressed my clear disliking towards her....... sometimes rather harshly."

I tried to be subtle about me calling her gold digger and all. I still regret each and every asshole thing I did to her.

She gave me a knowing look and so I continued, "I overworked her, forced her to quit and pissed her off to no bounds. But when I realized that she's not as bad as I think she is, I tried to be gentler with her but my resolve of making her quit was never dropped. If only that was possible.
On one business trip, some of my female friends insulted her, while we were out for dinner. David was there too."

That reminds me the bitch Julia insulted her mother too. God! I have been awful with her. If it was possible, the present version of me would have kicked the ass of that prick, I initially was with her.

"She quit the next day, and left. That came out as a serious blow on me. While I was trying to be happy that she's no more around me, all I felt was guilt and somehow missed her. I had to work like a donkey, because I had no potent PA. My appetite greatly reduced because no one would cook me as great as she did, and then give me company while I eat. And most importantly, I missed the presence of certain brown haired revolving around me."