77.

E R I C

"I didn't force her but she will have to get comfortable around Embrey.", I said to Dad who was scowling at me.

"Eric it is very difficult for her! You should understand!"

I shook my head, "That's the problem dad! You all want to keep her so safe that you allow her to hide from her fears. She will remain scared forever if she doesn't face them."

Dad was about to say something when David interrupted, "I think you both are thinking way too much. I don't want you both to get into a quarrel while Erica is making up with her mother. Act a little adult please!"

Dad chuckled, "Look who is talking about being adult!"

Mom shook her head while nonna was looking at us amused. Venus was cooking dinner for Embrey as she has been advised very specific food to eat.

Erica was at the hospital with her mother. I left her there forcefully because she thought I am not noticing but since Embrey has woken up she has avoided staying alone in the suite with her. One of us had to be inside the room so she stays. And so today, after a week I decided to take things in my hands.

"Lunch is done...now please settle and eat...!", We scurried towards the dining table as Venus called upon.

I sat across David who looked deep in thoughts. And this has been going on since Embrey has woken up. I don't know what is wrong with this sibling pair. But something definitely is.

For Erica, I understand but for him, it is pretty unusual for him to think stuff to himself. He'd rather say shit that stay silent. And I know I was not the only one to think so, because the very next moment, mom spoke up.

She ruffled his hair, while sitting beside him, "What's wrong David? You know we are here."

He looked up from his plate and smiled at mother affectionately, "Jess, I have been thinking about something lately..."

I chuckled, "Tell us what we don't know dickhead!"

Mom glared at me, "We are at the food table Eric! Stop cussing!"

Now it was his turn to chuckle, "Yeah this fucker doesn't understand gentleman etiquettes."

Nonna snickered while Dad rolled his eyes.

"You are changing the topic David..",  it was Venus this time.
Even she was pretty concerned, so much that she approached me to talk.

He cleared his throat and looked at Dad, "James! Ashton family has done a lot for me. In fact all I have is because of you, except my surname Wellington..."

Dad looked at him suspiciously, "David! Kid I told you always you don't have to think about it. I and my family have never thought of you as an outsider. We have done no favours to you. You were Vince's departing gift to us.."

He smiled, "I know and I can never be more happy for that. But there is something I want from you all. I don't know if it is appropriate or not but I want to voice it out once."

I would do anything for him. And I know anyone from this family would. David has served as a link between me and my parents for years. Though I never said explicitly but I have had a brother in David. He was a playboy, jackass, irritating and annoying, but we always had each other's back.

"What is it you want David?"

He looked down nervously and then glanced up at me, "I_ I feel like I have a responsibility towards Erica and Embrey now. If dad was still here, I am sure she would have been my step mother, and probably I would have already assumed the role of a brother to Erica. Though Dad is not here, I still feel as if Erica is the only trace of him on this earth, and now that I know of her, I can't just let that go.
James, Eric, Jess and Nonna, I want Erica and Embrey to live in my father's home with me and Venus, the place that rightfully belongs to both of them."