•Thirty one•

We settled down on the couch in the living room. She was sitting down across me with her legs cross the like the lady like women she is. We stayed silent for a moment, just staring at one another.

"Do you have tea?" She ask.

"Nope. We have water." I tell her.

"Sure can I have some water." She told me.

I didn't offer anything to drink but she is still Kookie's mom. I got up and went to the kitchen to pour a glass of water for her.

When I walked back to her I placed the cup in front of her. She picked up the glass and took a sip of water and place the glass back down.

"Well I guess we should get to the point." She starts off.

"That would be nice." I mumble out.

"What do you think of my son so far within the four months here?" She ask me.

I took a moment to think about her question. That's actually a hard question, because my first initial thought of him aren't really nice but now, he is wonderful.

"Your son has his days but overall, he is good guy." I tell her.

"My son is the opposite of me and his father. I really believe it's because of his friends. They are good people, don't get me wrong but he still has some traits and habits that I don't you have seen yet."

I furrow my eyebrows.

I saw her smile tilt up a little into a smirk. "See when he was about nine years old, he wanted to play the drums. We told him no because we don't think he would be committed to it and you know what he did?" She waited for my response but I didn't say anything. "He looked up videos on YouTube and then he bought books on music. He was so determined to prove to us that he really wanted to play the drums. And eventually we saw the commitments and we bought the drums and hired someone to teach him lessons. You know how long that last?" She pause. "Nine months."

"I don't understand where this going..."

"In his senior year of high school, he wanted to work for his father. He went to his father office and watched him. Ask employee for advice and even brought everyone lunch so they can accept him. His father hired him and he quit after six months."

She waited for me to say something but I didn't know what to say.

"When he wanted to invest into these clubs, your father was against it with his whole soul. This was a big deal, but of course he tried his best to prove to us. He went to college for business and accounting class for two years. He had a side job to make a few thousand dollarsso he can put some profit down. He made an extra effort to show us he can do this."

She took a deep and looked into my eyes.

"He went bankrupt within a year and half." She tells me. "Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Kind of."

"I been keeping an eye out on my son, I been told he is working late hours and planning big things to prove to his father and I something."

"Well maybe this time he really is going to do something big."I try to convince her.

"Oh sweetie, thank you for having the best version of my son in your head but I know him. We are his parents, we plan his life so he doesn't fail."

I open my mouth to fight but she shook her head.

"I know you think what we are doing is horrible. I wasn't born with money, I was married into his so I understand how cruel it sounds but I love my son and I would do anything for him to make sure he is comfortable, even if he getting marry with someone he doesn't love."

Everything she was telling me was a stab in my chest. I didn't realize I was crying till I felt something went on my hand.

"You have nothing to offer for my son and if you really love my son, support his marriage and just be there for him on the side."

I sucked in a breath of what she was asking me to do.

"No." I said with a stern voice.

She lifts an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"I said no. I will support your son and help him with whatever he needs to prove to you that he can be a successful man."

"And if he fails, like all the other time he tries, what will you offer him if he has nothing?"

I open my mouth but shut it when I realize I don't know.

"Exactly." She shakes her head. "Understand that we are only doing this because we don't want our son to suffer. We really did think he was capable of finishing what he wants to do but he has failed many times. And this will not be any different."

I hate that she has no faith in her son. How can she say all this awful things about her son?

"I can see you are still not seeing My point." She said while interrupting my thought. "Let's say he does this and the engagement is off. His father and him get into a big argument to the point his father cuts him off with money. And then he fails again. Will will you do then?"

"I'll help him get off his feet."

"And do you not think that that's exactly what we are doing? For goodness sake child, we want our son to achieve but he fails us. And he will fail you too."

That's it, I have had it with her disgusting words. Does she not have shame?

I stood up from the couch, wiped my tears.

"I don't know what will happen in the future. Your som may fail againbut I will help him to get back on his feet. In a different way than you. I will not have money for him to fall on but I will give him strength and encouragement. Your son needs more than money, he needs to understand his failure and learn from them. And I can help him with that."

I saw her standing up with no emotions on her face.

"Have it your way. If he fails, that's on you." She grabs her purse. "I'll let myself out."

And with that she walked out of the house. After two minutes, I threw myself back on the couch and cried.