•Thirty Seven•

Things were weird between Kookie and I. He doesn't know his dad came to see and he has yet to ask me what his mom and I talked about. I haven't ask him about his conversation with Jin.

So I did something that I didn't expect to do in a million years. I reached out to Umji myself and ask her to talk.

I ask Jin a few days ago if he had Umji number, he did but he was very hesitant to give it to me. I explained to him that we needed to talk. He understood that but he didn't trust us being alone. It took some time but he eventually gave it to me.

I even asked him not to tell Kookie. And let me tell you that was the hardest part. After a lot of begging and three promise paid meal, he eventually gave in.

Now I'm here waiting in one of her father's hotel lobby. I was nervous as hell but I know there's more to this and I need to know the whole story.

After fifteen minutes waiting in the lobby, I saw her with smug smile coming out of the elevator. I almost back down when I didn't have to convince her to meet me. She was willing and I knew she wanted to say or do something to me.

When she and I were in front of one another, she look me up and down as if she was inspecting me.

"I really don't understand what he sees in you." She said.

My lips stayed sealed from any bad thing that wanted to be said. I told myself to be an adult about this and I will stay true to my words.

"Can we please talk already?" I ask her.

She rolls her as and turn around to start walking. I followed her a cafe in the restaurant. We were seated in a small corner where there enough privacy.

When we sat down, a waiter come to our table and took our drink order. I simply ask for water and she ask for a green tea with honey and lemon.

"What is it you want to talk about?" She ask.

I was fidgeting with my fingers because I was nervous to my very core. I took a deep breath hoping that will calm my nerves.

"Kookie..." I look into her eyes as I said his name. "Do you love him?"

She didn't blink, "I don't."

"Then why are you marrying him?"

"Because my father told me to." Umji voice was cold.

"But you don't love him." I said.

She scoff as my words. She adjusted her position a little, "Look, I'll be straightforward. None of our parent married out of love, and that's how we were raise. Obviously Kookie loves you...."

"He doesn't love me" I cut her words.

Her brows knitted together in confusion. "You really believe that?" She ask.

I bit my lips, "I don't know."

"I see, and here you question me?" She spit at me. It was my turn to furrow my brows. "You question if I love him, and you are ruining an engagement without for sure knowing if you two are in love. Doesn't that sound selfish?"

I suck in a breath at her question. For the first time since I met her, I agree with her. I felt so bad for Kookie, I wonder why am I really doing this. What are our real feeling for each other.

"Lisa, our of respect because I was once in your shoes. Just go along with this marriage. Kookie and I aren't in love. You can still be in his life. Just don't ruin this engagement."

Her eyes were vulnerable, I can see that she was begging me. But she was hurting herself.

I remember Jin's words, "You know why out of all people, he chose Umji. This doesn't end at the money."

"Why you and Kookie? Why did they choose you two?" I ask her.

I saw her eyes widen a little. She opens her mouth but shuts it. "Our family knows each other." Was all she said.

"That's it?" I question.

She gritted her teeth from annoyance, I can tell my questions were making her feel uncomfortable.

"What's with all these stupid questions? I gave you an option. Go with it or leave us alone." She raises her voice.

"You are okay with me and Kookie being together on the side? Why is that? Don't you want to marry a man that loves you and be with you?"

"Of course I do, but your stupid idiotic boyfriend knocked up my sister and now she was force to marry the love of my life!"

I gasp at her confession. "What?"

She was just as surprised at what she said. When she realized everything was out, I could see in her eyes she was giving up.

"My sister, Soo Jin, and Kookie has a summer fling. They like each other back I high school. But see she was older than him. And well one thing led to another." She took a deep breath before continuing. "Soo Jin was a month pregnant before she had a miscarriage. It ruin everything from Soo Jin, to me to Kookie. My parents were so disappointed in my sister, they punished her by marrying her to my best friend, Dino." She took a deep breath. "Dino and I were inseparable but beside us being in different grades. We care for one another, I loved him but I don't know if he love me." She smiles at she talked about Dino. "But when my parents said they were getting married, Kookie and I threw a fit. So you know what they did?" She looks at me. " They shipped them to China to build a life and family."

I was speechless at her story. I was still confused on one part.

"Why you and Kookie?" I ask again.

She chuckles, "That's when I realized, Kookie parents are just as bad as mine. Soo Jin and Dino are coming back in five months. And they wanted Kookie to be a close reminder of his failure, hoping he would think twice before he does anything. I believe the bankruptcy of the club was their last straw."

My fist balled up by hearing his parents reason. They truly are evil. They are one the cruelest people ever.

I saw Umji taking something out of her purse. It was picture of a couple and a baby. They look beautiful and happy.

"My sister and Dino didn't love each other, hell they barely knew each other. But they learned to care for one another. I do hope Kookie and I become like this one day. But if you are in our lives, I'm okay with that too. Just be prepared to be hurt and disappointed."

I look up at her and we both can see that this was not a easy situation and we really wish things were different.

"Dino and I are strangers now because we believe we could still be in each other lives. But we hurt each other so much from all the lies. And now we are just in laws. Be smart Lisa."

With that she left leaving me with the picture. I stared at it and I wonder if what I was doing was right.