New Beginnings

A year later...

Chrissy POV

"Oh God, I'm going to be late as usual," I say to myself as I run around my house. I'm due to be at a charity event by 8 pm. It's already 7:30 and you know how LA traffic is. I'm not going to make it in time.

I take one more look in the mirror and I'm satisfied with the results.

It's been a year since I left my old life. It was hard at first and the anger and heartache made it even worse. I traveled for a few months before landing in LA. I guess I had to find myself and learn how to love myself again. It's weird. You think because you're an adult and you have a career that you're doing alright for yourself. We all fall eventually but it's your determination that decides how you continue down that path.

I almost gave up on myself, on life. I refused to ever be the broken girl I once was...When I settled in LA, I did everything possible to make this a fresh start. I started practicing law again, just a little cases here and there. My track record got around so quickly that high profile clients started to inquire about my services. It took a lot to fix me. I had weeks of therapy and even got a personal trainer. I was so small and sickly. I couldn't protect myself if I couldn't take care of myself. I also started taking up boxing. I put on weight and muscle, not to toot my own horn but I look good! My curves are back times ten and my skin is glowing.

The nightmares weren't so frequent. I had them every now and then but it's not as constant as before. My therapist thinks that they're repressed memories. I laugh at her theory because I remember my childhood very well. I had a normal one, well what you could consider normal these days. I haven't heard from Keisha or Naomi and I didn't expect to. I changed my number and my name. I now go by Sabrina Smith, catchy huh?

I wanted to tell them so much but they wouldn't understand. Truthfully, I wasn't ready to face them. When the time is right I'll give them a call. I need to be completely healed. Completely over him and that life. I keep up with Sammy, surprisingly! She's doing great. It turns out she and Sergio ended up hitting it off. She promised to not tell anyone where I was and I trust her word. We facetime here and there. She's visited me once but for safety reasons, she can't come as often as I like.

However, she will be flying in next week for a girls trip and I'm so excited. She told Sergio that's she going to visit family. It was a good lie considering her father and step-mother live out here. When she arrives we're taking a flight to Amersterdam. I've always wanted to go there and when I told her, she was down for the trip.

I arrive at the charity event a little after 8:15. I'm late I know but hey I sneak to my seat. Plus, no one really notices, or so I thought.

The speeches and recognition pass and now we're in the ballroom mingling and dancing. The music is surprisingly good. I'm hanging with some coworkers and dancing the night away. Being so busy with work and my cases I haven't had much time to enjoy myself. I'm happy and finally in a space where I can live to the fullest. This is all I ever wanted.