The Dark Allegiance

Lorenzo's POV

We all had to move to a nearby warehouse that Deacon and his team used for housing military equipment. When we were at Deacon's house we heard sirens approaching and knew we had to disappear.

We're all standing around in a circle while my father's team of men canvass the perimeter for any threats.

"Okay, can someone tell me what the fuck is going on and why my house was blown up?!" Deacon asks infuriated.

My father begin to speak:

I was 27 year's old and just reaching my prime in this business. I was quickly gaining control and everyone viewed me as a leader. This was rare for a mafia boss. Usually to gain made men status you had to kill someone. There comes a time in the future when that comes to fruition but I wasn't there yet.

As you can imagine, I didn't want this lifestyle and sure as hell didn't want it for my kids. But things in life just quickly become unattainable. My father forced me to take over and when I did I voweled that I would change the image of the mafia. We would have the loyalty aspect but always remain business-oriented, legitimize our profits.

And I did, slowly but surely our legal businesses started booming and little by little we turned away from crime. That was until Matteo came home.

"Who's Matteo?" Tony asked.

My father paused for a sec as he fiddled with his hands. He looked at Sal and I.

"Matteo, is your uncle." He spoke.

"Uncle? Since when do we have an uncle?" Sal asked.

He continues:

Matteo was my older brother. He was three years older than me and due to take over the family business. When the time came our country was at war. I don't mean with the Mafia but a political war between governments. The President at the time sent troops over to Europe. This was the worse we've seen since WWII. Many men died and many families were falling apart including ours.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I had come home from my first date with your mother. I was smiling from ear to ear. As I walked into the front door my parents and Matteo were sitting in the living room. The room was dead. I remember hearing the grandfather clock tick as the pendulum swung back and forth.

Matteo has just received a letter drafting him into the war. Our mother held his hand as tears streamed down her face. She was so broke and terrified that she couldn't even look at me when I walked in. My father sat down and told me what was happening. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My brother, your uncle, and I were very close. The thought of him going to war crushed me and our mother. But of course dad being dad showed no emotion.

Father made it clear that day. The Matteo would serve his country and I would serve the family. We didn't even know if he would make it out alive.

"Well did he? Did he ever come home?" Dre asked.

"Yes, he made it home. But he was not the same person who left. He was different, darker. It was so bad our mother would be scared to stay in the house with him alone." Father said.

"You must be referring to the Reign of Europe that happened in the late 70s early 80s. My father was a veteran from that era, and he told me many men died. They were either prisoners of war and were tortured or they were killed in combat. The U.S. and their allies were almost demolished." Deacon says.

My Father continues:

Yes, it was a terrible time for our country and I had many friends die in that war. But nothing hurt worse than your brother dying. Because that's how it felt. He was not the same Matteo.

He became angry at me. I was rising to the top of the mafia. I had everything from women, cars, homes, and all the money you could imagine. I shared every bit of it with him but he had hidden agendas. He didn't want what I offered. He wanted power.

Probably a year or so after he returned home. He started to come around more and it almost seemed like the old Matteo was back. But boy was I wrong. Your uncle is a sociopath and something in that war changed him. It made him evil.

He had come to me with an idea. He created this guise that made me think he was truly trying to help me. He mentioned a business opportunity with some people in Europe, specifically Germany. He said some of his old comrades had come across some oil stock. They know everywhere in the world oil equals gold. They wanted to profit off of it but didn't know how. He suggested that he bring me along considering my experience in businesses. He thought that we could potentially make millions out of this.

I didn't question it because at the time I just wanted my brother back. I agreed to go and we were on the next flight to Germany. Upon arrival, immediately I felt that we had made a huge mistake. As soon as we got into Berlin to meet his friends his demeanor changed. He was paranoid and maniacal.

We arrive at this abandoned factory to meet his friends. We're standing there and in walks three guys. They all shake hands and I notice immediately the tattoos on their wrist. They all had the letters D A  branded into their skin. I would later find that to me Dark Allegiance. And I would also find out that these men were not formal military and definitely not any of his comrades. While stationed in Berlin during the war he had got caught up in war crimes. One of the biggest rings, human trafficking.

This group of nefarious pricks would kidnap girls all over the world and sell them to the highest bidder. What makes it worse, the ones that they couldn't sell who were maybe too old or had some defect. They would rape them to produce more kids. The boys would be trained to become new "gatekeepers" and "trackers" and the girls would be groomed to be sold years down the line. The "gatekeepers" would guard the girls while imprisoned. And the "trackers" are the elite ones. They're highly intelligent and learn several languages at once. They stalk their prey and capture when they least expect it. I believe that's who took Keisha and Naomi.

This is why we stopped our business in Germany. After I was informed of Matteo's involvement. I cut him off and never spoke to him again and banned him from ever returning to America. I pleaded with him before I left. I told him this was not the way to go and if he needed help that father and I would help him get out of this Allegiance. He refused to listen so I left and never looked back. Until year's later, when you both were young I was getting word that a lot of young girls were missing from New York. We thought it was a serial killer or a local gang. But when I started to receive information regarding some underground terrorist group that went by DA. I knew then who it was. Your uncle gained such notoriety overseas and he had gained that power he wanted so bad.

Anyway, the trafficking was getting out of control. We spent months tracking his location in Germany. He had moved from Berlin but was still in the country. We traced him Munich and we had an all out battle. I killed most of his men and spent years hunting down the remaining "trackers" and "gatekeepers". But when it came to him I couldn't do it. He had already forced me into becoming a murderer trying to save these girls. That was the first time I had killed people but I could never kill my brother.

"Why? Why the fuck did they take our wives?! You said they take girls and then keep them as they grow older." Tony screams.

My father opens his jacket pocket and pulls out an envelope. He gives it to Tony.

As Tony opens the envelope. Everyone else surrounds him to see what it says. My heart starts racing when I see a picture of Naomi, Keisha, and Chrissy along with three other girls as children. They were being held in a room with a man. His face is circled and big bold letters read next to it, MATTEO.

*************************************

Comment, Vote, and Follow