Old Acquaintances

Chrissy's POV 

It was midnight when we got back to our place. I locked the front door and reset the alarm. I had EJ in my arms asleep so I made my way upstairs to put him in his crib. I slowly moved up the stair as his legs dangled against my stomach. This boy is going to be tall and he gets all of that from his father because I need stools to grab shit from the cabinets. 

I walk into his room and turn his light on. I quietly place him on his changing table and change his diaper one last time before putting him in his favorite dinosaur PJs. I kiss him on the cheek and tell him I love him before laying him in his crib. I go over to open the window and I pause, "I'll keep it closed for the night!" I say to myself with an uneasy feeling.

Instead, I turn on his humidifier and sound machine. I tell him I love him one more time before heading out the door and walking up the hallway to my room. I walk into my closet and get undress and grab a nightie from one of the draws. I slip it on and walk over to my bed throwing the covers over so I can get in. I tie my hair into a loose bun and set my alarm for 5 am. I want to try to get a run in in the morning. I reach over and turn the lamp off and roll over into slumber.

I'm awakened in the middle of the night by a loud crash coming from downstairs. I pop out of my bed.

"What the fuck." I whisper as all my worry is focused on EJ.

I quickly go to my closet and grab my pistol out of my safe. If I learned anything from a crime family is that you need to stay ready so you don't have to get ready. I load the gun and pull the hammer back so I'm prepared to fire if need be. I quietly walk out of my room and run into EJs and I see he's still asleep in his crib.

I walk out closing his door behind me and head downstairs to see what was going on. I take each step one at a time and slowly turn the corner to get a full view of the living room. I don't see anyone. I keep walking until I get to my office and still no one in sight. I head to the back of the house where the kitchen is and I see the vase I put our sunflowers in shattered and the pieces of glass are all over the floor.

I feel a breeze coming from behind me and I notice the back door is open. I quickly sprint upstairs to EJ's room and before I get to it I notice his door is open. I don't visibly see anyone in there. I panic and quickly run to grab EJ and when I turn around I shriek.

"What the fuck are you doing here?!" I ask.

I look in the doorway and I see Deacon stand there. He walks up to me with his finger over his lips making the "shh" gesture.

"We need to go now. You're in danger!" He whispers.

"In danger, from who? Is Matteo in Greece?" I ask frantically.

"Chrissy, Matteo is in your fucking house!" My eyes widen and as soon as he says those words my heart drops when I hear footsteps going up the stairs.

Deacon grabs my hand and rushes us to the door. He peeps down the hall and doesn't see anyone. We quickly but quietly walk down the hall and I'm trying my best to ensure EJ stays asleep. If he wakes up we're all going to die.

We get to the steps and we start to descend and just as enter the living room it starts to storm and the strike of the lightning frightens EJ. He wakes up crying.

"Shh, baby it's okay. Mommy's got you go back to sleep." I try to soothe him.

He keeps squirming in my arms and I begin to rock him. He's calming down a little and we're walking out of the living room when lightning strikes again and illuminates the room.

There on the couch, I see the silhouette of a man and he sparks his lighter and lights his cigar. He stands and walks over to Deacon and I until I can get a full look at his face.