The Call

Lorenzo POV

What I said had to be said and I don't regret any of it. Do I still love her? Yes. However, that will never change the fact that my love, our love, was not enough for her. I changed my whole life for her because I thought she was worth it. I was a Marino on the verge of taking my stake in the criminal world and building an empire. I stopped for her and for the past three years, everything that I've done has been for her.

As I'm moving rocks, I glance at her and notice her head is down and I can tell she's fighting back tears. Unfortunately, that's not my problem anymore and if she needs a should to cry on she can go talk to Deacon's ass.

"How can I help?" She asks.

"You can sit your ass over there and let me handle it." I respond as I'm dragging rocks away from our exit.

"Lorenzo, you don't have to be an ass to me. I understand you're hurting but I'm just trying to help." I look at her and roll my eyes. "If you really wanted to help me. You would just sit down and shut up." I stare at her as her eyes begin to water and she plops down on the edge.

I remove the last rock and notice the exit has no groundlevel and it was just the river flowing out into a larger body of water. I look further in the path and notice a stone wall blocking us. The only way we were going to get out is if swim underneath.

"We're going to have to swim." I tell her.

"SWIM? I can't swim Lorenzo!" I look at her like she's crazy.

"What? Since when?"

"What do you mean 'since when', I've never been able to swim!" She responds.

I don't know why I never knew this about her but then again we were never in a place where her ass was swimming.

I sigh. "Get in the water." I tell her.

"Listen, just go and come back with help because I can't swi-" I interrupt her.

"Chrissy, if you don't get your ass in the water!"

She jumps and slowly steps in. As she comes closer to me her height slowly is shortened until she can't go any further. I step over to her and grab her hands and hold her. I can feel her shaking in my arms.

"I need you to calm down and listen to me carefully. You're going to get on my back and when I count to three we're going under." She nods as she hops on my back. I take my hands and press them under her thigh to lift her higher.

"On three take a deep breath and we're going under."

One.

Two.

Three.

We both deeply breath in as I lead us under the water. I keep swimming until I see light and I look up to see and exit. I quickly kick fast as I'm beginning to lose my breath. When we emerge we're in the middle of the river and I quickly swim to the gravely shore. When we get to standing level I take her off my back and I'm now carrying her bridal style to the shore.

As I place her down, she quietly says, "thank you."

"What the hell happened over there!" She yells as she points.

I look at where she's pointing and I see the castle demolished. It was about a mile a way from where we are. From the looks of it there wasn't even smoke so we must have been in that cave for awhile.

"We need to get to a phone so I can call Sal." She nods as we begin to walk to a nearby road.

I flag down a car and an older white man in a pickup truck stops.