EJ

Chrissy's POV

I crouch down as my baby comes waddling in my arms. I give him kisses all over his face and tell him how much I love him. He smiles as he caresses my face and twirls my flyaway curls in his hand. 

"Mommy got something for you!" I tell him and his eyes burst in joy.

I pull out the sunflowers I bought. "See, I have one for you and one for mommy!"

We have a small garden in the back of our house he absolutely loves. Last year, I had several different flowers planted but he was always drawn to the sunflowers. So, when I saw these I picked some up for him. He claps his hands, as he places his face into the flower to smell it. I laugh at his serious face, "mmm, smells good mommy!". I give him one last hug before putting him down and walking over to his preschool teacher.

I picked this small childcare center for a reason. His teacher only serviced a few families and it was right across from the beach. A lot of the time I would take him there after school and we would enjoy playing until dinner time. I would love to spend time with him all day but I do have some legal obligations, remotely of course, that requires my full attention in the morning.  So, he's here from 7 am to 1 pm every day. At first, I felt bad but then I realized all he knows is me. And as much as I can teach him, I can't teach him how to interact with other children. He needed to learn how to socialize on his own.

His teacher, Ms. Penelope is amazing and has been helpful from the beginning. I met her while shopping at Drakos and she insisted on bringing EJ to the school.

"EJ, did you find your mommy?" She bends down to ask him. He smiles ear to ear while nodding his head.

"Playtime, pwease!" He says as he tugs at my dress.

"Five minutes while I talk to Ms. Penelope." He runs off as I hear his diaper swishing in the background. I chuckle at the noise then focus on Ms. Penelope.

"How was he today?" I ask.

She politely smiles. "He was great and is really coming into his own personality. He loved his art project today. We asked the children to draw a picture of their family and he drew a wonderful picture of you and Mrs. Mables. However, it brought up some questions."

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously.

"Well, EJ noticed that the other kids drew more than their mommies. He noticed they all had pictures of their daddy. He said he didn't know what a daddy was and that he didn't have one." His teacher looked at me with sadness in her eyes.

I myself was fighting back tears, but I didn't want EJ to see me breakdown. "Thank you for letting me know. I'll have a conversation with him tonight." She rubbed my shoulder and smiled.

"Come on EJ, time to go!" I grabbed EJ and we both smiled and waved to Ms. Penelope.

"Have a great weekend!" She shouted and waved before going back inside.

******

We finally made it to our porch and Mrs. Mables was outside with her sandwiches and tea. When EJ saw her he got so excited and ran over to her. She's been like a grandmother to him ever since he was born. She's a widow and her husband passed away about five years ago and loves EJ to death. She watches him a lot for me and has become a part of our small family. I'm just glad he has someone who loves him just as much as I do.

He runs into her arms, "Nana!" He yells as she chuckles.

"My precious baby, how was school?" She pinches his cheeks.

"I poop," he tells her as I bust out laughing.

She chuckles, " Well, I guess we have to take care of that now don't we?"