13. Angel

I woke up around five thirty in the morning with an email notification saying that my chemistry class is cancelled. According to my chemistry professor's assistant, my professor was sent to the hospital last night and won't be able to make it to class. My psychology professor is also out because he's still ill from the flu. I wished for both of them to get better as I threw my phone on the floor and happily went back to sleep.

An hour later, loud music forced my eyes open and my body to sit up. Running out to the living room, I see my radio turned all the way up, curtains opened, and sunlight entering the apartment. Taking a step forward, a lavender rose blocks my path, floating right in front of me. I caught its stem between my fingers before facing the kitchen.

There I find the boy with lilac eyes, wavy jet black hair, and round glasses, wearing absolutely nothing but my black apron. I can only see the upper half of his body, as his lower half is hidden by the counter top table of the kitchen, but I just know he's not wearing anything under. Not wanting to see anything pass his stomach, I sat down on a stool across from him.

Zander smiled at me widely and bowed before removing the lid of a plate in front of me. "Breakfast is served, Princess Astoria."

The witch boy had cooked breakfast for me. On a plate, there is a pancake that is in an undefined shape, with a burnt toasted bread with a square butter on it.

"The pancake was supposed to be cat-shaped, but I don't know what happened and now it looks like a special, mysterious shape, which is even better honestly. Special and one of a kind, yet pretty and delicious still, just like you." Zander says as he pours some chocolate milk in a cup. "And this bread isn't burnt. It's just especially colored like your beautiful hair."

I started off with a small smile, then it expanded into a grin. Giggles turned into hysterical laughter within seconds, while pool of tears are on my eyes. My heart is swelling and I had to put a hand over my chest, feeling it tighten from laughing so much.

The boy across from me smiled and watched me, resting his forearm on the counter top table, pupils dilating and irises switching into a different shade of violet. "Stop laughing at my hard work." He says sternly, though his expression doesn't match his tone.

I took a deep breath to calm myself down, though I couldn't stop smiling. "I'm sorry. Thank you for breakfast, Zander." Other than my parents, no one else has ever made me breakfast. Although it isn't the perfect one, the thought and effort makes me want to cry and hug him.

The boy crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at me. "Don't get any funny ideas and flatter yourself." His cheeks flushed. "I only made you breakfast so you don't die of starvation, which will be terrible because who will provide me food and clothes? It's only for my own benefit."

"Okay."

"Stop smiling at me." His face now turns red. "My actions are for selfish reasons. I didn't do it because I like you or anything."

"Of course." I nodded my head, picking up a fork.

Just as I started to dig in the breakfast, my door was opened. Zander must have forgotten to lock it when he went inside my apartment. Orion, formally dressed for work, rushes inside the room, but stopped as soon as he saw Zander. He froze. Zander froze. I froze. My eyes flickered to Orion, who blinked a few times. Zander quickly changed his eye colors to brown and fixed his glasses.

Orion cleared his throat. "Sorry! I didn't know you have company."

A grin displayed on Zander's face. He extended is hand for Orion, who awkwardly stood beside me and shook it. "My name is Zander. Astoria's guardian angel and love of her life." I suddenly choked on the piece of pancake I was eating. "And you are?"