47. Soulmates

IVY

Ingrid and her wolves retreated, but the fight isn't over yet. The attack only marks the beginning of the end. The alpha of the Aquila wolves revealed that although Roman succeeded in helping us escape at Starfield, he failed to take down the remaining vampires and werewolves. He was brought back to Queen's Garden while Ingrid tracked us down by herself. She must have reported back to Queen's Garden about our location, and nine other wolves to complete the team that was supposed to take us down.

They lost not because they were outnumbered, but because the wolves aside from Ingrid were not as skilled as my pack. In addition, they were not acting like a true pack. There was barely any collaborative work and connections in their actions. It was more of individual wolves in the same place rather than one team. The fight lasted until the sun came up. Ingrid saw that she wasn't going to win, and so she left with a promise that the next time we see each other will be the end of everything.

I couldn't afford to be worried for it because my mind had been on Miko and the others who escaped during the attack. Throughout the entire time, I fought with them on my mind, hoping that they all made it out of here safely. I knew that a couple of wolves went after them, but I couldn't be the one to chase them because I couldn't let Ingrid out of my sight. I can only hope that they were able to get them off their tails.

As soon as Aquila was gone, the pack and I left the safe base to go after everyone else. I'm running a little ahead of the others, but my worries aren't slowing me down for even a second. Although I could detect various distinct sense, the one that was the easiest for me to follow is Miko's. Even without it, I know I'd be able to find her because of the unexplainable tugging in my chest that always brings me to my mate.

A part of me is anxious to see her again, knowing that I will be confronted about what happened between us before Luna's call. I wasn't thinking when I had basically confessed to Miko. It was as if the words were coming out by themselves. I knew it was that force, that pull that brings soulmates together, that took over my body and I couldn't resist it. But no matter how nervous I am about that, I need to see her.

I ran for miles, passing hundreds of trees alongside the road that the van must have been through. I slowed down to catch my breath but couldn't stop myself from moving forward entirely. Every minute comes with frightening scenarios of what could have happened to Miko and the others that we rescued from Aquila.

The endless 'What if's' finally stopped when I reached a forest with the strong aroma of jasmine and pine. I shifted out of my wolf form when I found familiar faces walking around one big campfire and tents surrounding it. Dominic and his husband, Ian, talking to Mrs. Vinson as the three of them keep their eyes on Mrs. Vinson's five year old grandson and the Porters' ten year old son drawing pictures on the forest ground with small wooden sticks from tree branches.

The young witch, Eli, and Clara, one of the youngest werewolves in the group, are the first ones that noticed my arrival, as the two of them were talking and sitting by a log facing my direction. They both stood up and screamed out my name, causing the others around to snap their heads towards us.

"Ivy!" I returned the hug that Clara gave me while Eli flashed me a wide smile.

"Where did all the tents come from?" I know we didn't have this many tents. Maybe there were two in the van, but definitely not over ten.

"Miko bought them. And blankets and snacks too." Clara replied. "There wasn't a motel nearby, so we stopped here. Miko didn't want us to sleep on the ground and get cold and hungry, so she drove to the closest markets and got them for everyone."

"Where is Miko now?" I asked, feeling my stomach filling with anticipation at the same time my heart swells at the thought of her going out of her way to make sure all these people are safe and comfortable.