42. Zetta

We are outside of Queen's Garden. There aren't any houses on the ground or on the trees, and wooden castle is nowhere to be found. There aren't flowers and various plants decorating the lands. There's only endless, plain trees scattered in the middle of darkness. The cries of the animals seemed louder, and the wind is much colder. This is the forest outside of the enchanted area. Its secular half.

My body feels paralyzed as I kneel on the cold, dirty ground, while a vampire circles around me, fiddling with a sharp, silver knife. I could only get a glimpse of the person who had brought me here. It was a werewolf guard who had instantly ran back to Queen's Garden the moment he dropped me in front of Zetta.

"You've gotten too cozy, haven't you?" She twirls her silver hair with the knife. "You got yourself a handsome witch, befriended the prisoners, and you've even got my brother to do your dirty work for you." Within a second, the knife was held against my throat. "You've poisoned his mind." She gripped my jaw tightly. "I don't understand why Florencia still keeps you alive. You and your other secular friend." The tip of of the knife pricked my skin. I flinched and bit my tongue at the pain. "Don't think I haven't noticed what you've been doing."

I could feel blood slowly trickling down my neck.

My chest tightened at her words.

Had we been caught?

Everyone had been so careful of their every movement, making sure the guards don't suspect anything. The only time someone was caught was when Samuel had found Christopher using his enhanced speed.

Did Samuel inform Zetta of the secret meetings?

"You've been trying to find ways to stop Florencia." My eyes darted towards the vampire. "And you've been using Roman. Every single time he fucks up, it's all because of you. It's always you behind his wrong actions."

No. We haven't been caught. This isn't about that at all.

This is about Roman.

I get it now.

"He attacked Ingrid to save that alpha wolf, who is a likely ally of yours. Why wouldn't you be conspiring together if you've got a common enemy? She's been at Jupiter, hasn't she? Surely, you've crossed paths many times. And I know my brother has been sneaking around to see you while you're locked up in the castle, and god knows what sort of lies you've been telling him, just to get him to do what you want. You saw that the Farvale witch isn't useful to you, so you turned to Roman instead." She narrowed her eyes at me. "Your scent was all over him once, so I know you've been seeing him." I'm sure she's talking about the time when Roman was in blood lust and I offered my blood to him. "And even before you arrived, back in Jupiter, you've been distracting him from his duties."

I remember the picture that Ivy showed me, with my name in the back, written in blood. It was Zetta's masterpiece. She was spying on her brother and saw that we've become friends. So, she sent a warning for Roman to stay on task. The first time Zetta and I met, she already wanted to rip me apart because I've gotten in the way of Roman's mission.

"You're just mad that he doesn't do what you want him to anymore." I straightened my back, feeling energy returning to me.

"Yes. And that'll get him killed." She laughed bitterly. "Do you know how we're still alive, after all this time? Because of me. I have done everything and will do anything to keep me and my brother alive." Before I could realize it, Zetta had a tight hold on my right forearm. She forced me to stand on my feet, and then held the knife against my throat once again. "And if I have to get rid of whatever influences Roman to do things that could get him killed, I'll get rid of whatever and whoever I need to."