Hubby

CHAPTER 5

Sitting comfortably with each other in Jennie's office gave the two girls time to breathe after all the things that has happened today it seems that the day refuses to be over. The older girl can't seem to shake the feeling of guilt she's been carrying for the past 2 years. Here she was, sitting in comfortable silence with her best friend-turned-secret love-turned-fiancé and she feels like they're a million miles away. 

What was Rose busy with nowadays? Who replaced her as a best friend? When she got too overwhelmed by pressure who did she cry to instead? Did she use Jennie's hoodies she stole form the older girl's closet? Then her stomach dropped and she thought to herself, does she wear someone else's hoodies now?

Ever since Jennie hit 18 she began to drift apart from the younger girl. Of course it wasn't on purpose. She had too much on her plate that she didn't even have time for Chaeyoung anymore. She didn't even have time for herself. Jennie isn't much of a social butterfly. Thus appearing cold and closed off. Korea's Iron Critic. Now Chaeyoung was 21 in her third year of college while Jennie was 22. It's been almost 4 years since their friendship dwindled down due to external matters. But even though they drifted apart they always made it a point to try and catch up. In those 4 years they secretly looked forward to family get-togethers and business meetings because it meant that they would see each other.

As time passed by, their dynamic evolved into something both girls couldn't quite grasp. They started being shy around each other but still insist to sit next to each other and be inseparable all night during gatherings. Jennie would occasionally drive Chaeyoung home when she catches the girl after school but that would be rare. They would exchange longing glances at each other, both thinking it's because they missed their best friend.

Not a wrong thought but they're feelings evolved into something more. That same feeling left Jennie feeling as though she's drowning and she can't breathe nor can she think straight, her logic and all her common sense has left her senses. 

She didn't mind though because in the middle of her chaos, there was Chaeyoung. 

She didn't want to be saved from Chaeyoung.

All of Jennie's thoughts were interrupted when she saw the younger girl fiddle with the necklace she didn't notice the younger girl was wearing. Maybe Chaeyoung always wore the necklace and hid it under her clothing. It was the necklace Jennie gave her on Chaeyoung's 18th birthday. A rose gold rose pendant.

Only the best roses for her Rosie.

"You use it?"

Chaeyoung didn't even notice that she began fiddling with the necklace again since through the years that she's had it, she's always found herself randomly reaching up to fiddle with her favourite piece of jewelry. It gave her comfort to feel its weight around her neck and touch it with her fingers. Since she wasn't always with Jennie, the necklace became her source of comfort whenever she feels nervous, anxious or whenever she misses the older girl.

The younger girl ducked her head in embarrassment and nodded ever so slightly.

"I haven't taken it off ever since the day you gave it to me. Thank you, again. I really love it."

In all the years Jennie has been successful this is what she hasn't experienced, her heart felt so full. She gave the girl her special gummy smile, her eyes twinkled and Chaeyoung hoped the older girl would smile more from now on. Jennie shuffled closer to the other girl as she looked at the other girl apologetically.

"Chaeng, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for letting us drift apart. 4 years. 4 years of not being by your side killed me. I promise it did. You have to believe me, Chaeng."

If not for their close proximity, the younger girl wouldn't have heard what Jennie said. Chaeyoung's heart constricted in sorrow as she recalled how many times she's longed for her best friend's presence especially on her worst days. She always sought out Jennie for comfort and strength to face the world again. Jennie gave her peace. Jennie offered her rest and a safe haven. But when Jennie left, she needed to figure out how to be strong on her own.

"I don't think you should apologize for investing time into building up your career but for what it's worth, I will always forgive you Jendeukie."

Jennie looked at her best friend. Chaeyoung's blonde hair glowed under the sunlight that passed through Jennie's glass windows creating a halo like glow around the girl, her eyes twinkled with delight and her smile made Jennie's knees feel weak even though she's sitting down. Chaeyoung looked at her like how she looked at her at 5 years old when she gave her a rose from her mother's vase, she looked at her like how she did when they were 16 on a girl's night while Jennie cooked her Kimchi fried rice, she looked at her now as her best friend-turned-fiancé with such adoration that Jennie felt her heart could explode from being so happy.

"Let me make it up to you Chaeng. I know I haven't been the best friend you needed these past 4 years so let me make it up to you now as both your best friend and fiancé. Think of this as me courting you, even though were already technically engaged. I want to deserve your forgiveness and well I really do miss you and I want to spend time with you. Let me act like your girlfriend at least for the next 6 months before I become your wife. Or better yet think of this 6 months as you training me on how to become your ideal wife. It's a win-win, really."

Is she? Is she asking me to date her? Just when Chaeyoung thought this day was done messing up her sanity it slaps her in the face again. It's not that Jennie needed to work hard to make it up to Chaeyoung nor did Jennie need to exert so much effort to swoon the girl. Every little thing Jennie did made Chaeyoung blush and her heart flutter.

Seeing the younger girl's face turn beet read gave Jennie a big boost of confidence. She's blushing? I didn't make a complete fool of myself, then. A smug look plastered on the older girl's face and she leaned closer to Chaeyoung's face till the tip of their noses were touching.

With a smug grin Jennie whispered with her best sultry voice, "What do you say Hubby? Would you let me make it up to you?"

She honestly couldn't take it anymore. Chaeyoung covered her face with both her hands and wished for the earth to swallow her whole. Meanwhile Jennie's new found smugness has reached an all-time high and she was really enjoying teasing the younger girl.

Jennie held both Chaeyoung's wrists and gently pulled them down to her lap making the younger girl look at their joined hands once again.

"But just because you're my fiancé doesn't mean I'm going to go easy on you during class, Hubby. Now come on let me walk you to your next class."

Chaeyoung let the older girl usher her out the office and to the elevators. The whole elevator ride down the poor girl could only think of one thing.

Hubby.