Maybe One Day

Chapter 3: Omega pt. 3

As I pulled up to the cemetery with Allison behind me, I felt dread course through me at the amount of people that were here; the amount of cameras. I wasn't worried for myself, I was worried for the girl that had pulled into a parking spot next to me. My uneasiness only worsened when she sent me a panicked look.

Getting out of the car quickly, I jogged around it while adjusting the coat pulled over my dress. Reaching Allison's door, I pulled it open and shielded the slightly taller girl from onlookers as she adjusted the skirt of her dress in anxiety.

"Hey, you're gonna be fine

"Hey, you're gonna be fine." I told her. "I'm gonna be right here and I'm not going anywhere." I held her hands in my own, staring into her eyes until she nodded rapidly at me. As we walked over to where her parents SUV was parked, I kept my hand in hers and let her squeeze until my blood was no longer circulating.

When we got to the trunk, the driver's side door opened, followed by the passenger side and the two adults stepping out of the car. I ignored the dirty look shot at me from her mother and the distrust in her fathers' eyes as we walked silently together through the throng of people.

Cameras were snapping every two seconds and I was getting slightly claustrophobic as people crowded around us. I paid that no mind though as I kept my eyes on the girl next to me; dark sunglasses I'd given to her adorning her features to hide her face from the multitude of bodies. I kept her hand pressed tightly in mine as her father wrapped an arm around her back to help get her through the masses.

"Mrs. Argent!"

"Can we get two words?!"

"...said she was guilty!"

"Mrs. Argent, please!"

"Mrs. Argent, can we get a few words?! Just a few words?!"

People shouted all around us and the words eventually ran together until it was just a jumble of 'Argent's and 'please's. When a camera hit me in the face, I blindly used my free arm to push the man away, making sure he couldn't hit anyone else. The pressure of all the people and my dress added with the force it took to push the man away made my wound ache; pain searing through my nerve endings as I clenched my teeth.

"Ms. Martin! Ms. Martin!"

"Why are you at the funeral of a woman who attacked you?!"

"Ms. Martin, sources say your heart stopped on route to the hospital, can you confirm?!"

My grip tightened in Allison's hold as I clenched my teeth harder, pushing back the water that clouded my eyes. Allison tightened her already painful grip in response as the Sheriff intervened. "Hold it, hold it, hold it. That's it! Back up!"

Finally through the extensive number of people, I took a deep breath to steady myself before looking over to Allison to make sure she was alright. The girl looked overwhelmed, which wasn't surprising, so I gave her hand a squeeze. When she looked over at me I sent her a timid, reassuring smile and saw her release a small bit of stress at the gesture. Her hand squeezed mine back before her grip loosened a bit.