The Grace of a Grandmother

Chapter 14: Venomous

Sitting at a table outside, I held a cup of hot peppermint tea in my hands as I took a small sip of the drink. Pulling my freshly washed jacket tighter around me as a particularly chilly breeze passed by, I looked around in anxiety, my foot tapping lightly on the pavement. 

Sighing, I pulled my phone out, sending a quick text back to Stiles to let him know I got here alright and I'd tell him everything I learned later. He was so excited when I told him everything Deaton said. It made me incredibly happy that he was so ecstatic to have more information and that I finally knew what I was. I really couldn't ask for a better boyfriend. He was amazing. 

Slipping the phone back in my pocket, I looked up to see a smiling woman standing in front of me. Despite my nerves, a giant smile grew on my face and my eyes watered slightly as I stood up. "Oh, dear, it's so good to see you." 

"It's good to see you too, grandma. I really missed you." 

"I did too, sweetheart. I'm glad you called. I've been so worried about you. I wanted to come see you while you were in the hospital but your father said he had it handled. You know how he gets when he doesn't get his way." She spoke sadly, mouth pressed into a sheepish line as she tucked my hair behind my ear. 

"It's alright. It's not your fault. I finally got my stitches out, though. The doctors said it should be completely healed in the next two weeks." I told her, a small smile on my face as I sat back down in the cold, metal chair. 

"That's good! It's not causing you too much pain now, is it?" 

My heart warmed at the woman's concern. I missed her soft voice and warm hugs. "No, grandma. It's alright. It's definitely noticeable but I get used to it and it doesn't hurt much."

"I'm glad, dear. Now, not that I'm not happy to see you, but why did you call? You said there was something important you wanted to talk about?" She asked, setting her purse on the chair beside her. 

"Well, I just wanted to ask you something. It might sound kind of crazy though." I told her, casually sipping on my tea as I avoided her gaze. This was so stressful. 

"Nothing you could ask me would make me think you're crazy, Rae. I love you and I will always love you." She told me, reaching over and patting my hand lightly with a small, reassuring smile. 

Sighing, I nodded a bit as I took another sip of my drink. "Well, for a long time I've gotten really weird déjà vu. It's like I know things that are going to happen before they do. I feel like no one will believe me and I just thought that you might not look at me differently." 

"Honey, of course I don't. There are all kinds of people that can do that. It's no surprise, I always knew you were special." 

"Why did you though? And what would the name Grace have to do with that, grandma? You told me once that you picked my middle name because of that, but I don't understand." 

My grandma stayed silent for a moment, looking at the table before regarding me for a moment. "Grace was a very powerful woman." 

"But there's dozens of names you could've picked. Why Grace?" The woman regarded me again, her head tilting slightly until a small smile crossed her face. 

"You always were so much smarter than your father." She spoke, a proud look on her face as her eyes twinkled. "I was right, wasn't I? You're something special like Grace was." 

"Depends. Does xayrixoh tomoshabin mean anything to you?" 

Despite how impossible it seemed, my grandmother's smile widened as her eyes crinkled slightly, tears in her eyes. "Oh, darling. I'm so proud of you. How did you figure it out? I'd assume it has something to do with your young werewolf friend?"