Final Countdown

Chapter 28: Battlefield pt. 2

The gif quality is absolute shit but I love this one lmao. Once upon a time it was colored and subtitled in different colors, but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Stupid 3mb rule

~SiriusCatBennett

Sighing, I walked beside my boys onto the lacrosse field. None of us were planning on coming tonight, but what were you gonna do when it could possibly turn into a battlefield.

"Have I told you how much I hate lacrosse now? Because I do. I really do. Half of you idiots are on the lacrosse team. It's a brutal sport. Not to mention, there's usually some supernatural problem other than my empathy occurring on the lacrosse field. For instance, right now." I rambled, glancing over at my boyfriend as I let out a small huff.

"I know, babe. I know." He said, sighing as he rubbed my back comfortingly.

Leaning into him, I turned my head to face Scott. "Oh, and try not to break any bones. Not only does it hurt, but I don't think people in the stands would take too kindly to a crying girl with a randomly broken bone that magically heals."

"Noted." He responded, turning to look at me as we sat down. "Is it even smart for you to be here tonight?"

"Probably not." I admitted, sighing as I glanced down at the grass. "But there's no way I'm leaving."

Scott nodded when I met his gaze before turning to look at Stiles. "Your dad comin'?"

"Yeah, he's already here." Stiles told him, gesturing behind us with his thumb. There, Melissa and John were sat next to each other talking. I stared at them worriedly for a moment before turning my attention elsewhere.

"You seen Allison?" The wolf asked next, glancing between us quickly.

"No, you seen Lydia?" I questioned, leaning slightly around Stiles so I could see the boy. My sister hadn't been home when I'd gone there to change and I hadn't seen her in the parking lot either.

"Not yet."

"You know what's goin' on?" Stiles asked, staring off onto the field as I burrowed into his chest.

"Not yet."

"Yeah." Stiles said softly. "It's gonna be bad, isn't it? I mean like people screaming, running for their lives, blood, killing, maiming kind of bad?"

Inhaling sharply at his words, I sat up, quickly surveying the field. One of my hands slid into my coat pocket while the other slid to my thigh. "Looks like it."

"Scott...the other night, seein' my dad get hit over the head by Matt...and Rae fighting the kanima...you know, while I'm just lying there and I can't even move...it just...I-I want to help, you know I-" My throat tightened up at the pain heard in Stiles' words. We'd talked about this over the week and I didn't know how to fix it. "...but I can't do the things that you can do. Hell, I can't even do the things Rae can do." I felt guilty in a way I knew I didn't need to be. It wasn't my fault any of this had happened, but I couldn't help but feel heavy in the heart. "I can't."

Removing my hand from its position on my blades, I wrapped my arms around the boy. Burrowing into his chest, I rubbed small circles into his side as his grip tightened around my shoulders.

"It's okay. " I nodded in agreement with Scott, feeling Stiles' hold tighten in thanks.

"We're losing, guys."

"The hell are you talking about?" Turning around abruptly, the three of us stared up at Coach Finstock. "Game hasn't even started. Now put on your helmet and get out there. You're in for Greenberg."