Red Alert

Chapter 29: Master Plan

When I woke up, it was slowly. First, I could hear the buzz of the fluorescents, and then the hardness of the ground below me and the lockers behind me. It was when a jolt of electricity passed through my body that I jerked awake, loudly inhaling as I shot forward. 

One hand pressed against the floor, the other shot to my side, grabbing one of my daggers. Staggering to my feet, I crashed against the wall as I held the knife before me, looking around wildly. 

It took a few moments to remember what had happened. To remember the fight and the blinding pain and the passing out. When I did, my hand shot to my midsection, pulling up my shirt to only reveal dried blood. 

When I exhaled, it came out shakily; a pain in my heart that hadn't been there before. It was like a tiny hole now resided there. A tiny hole that used to belong to Jackson Whittemore. 

I didn't know how I knew it was him, but I knew. I also knew it meant he was dead. I could feel it deep in my bones and I stared wide-eyed at nothing as the realization hit me. 

A few jolts passed through my body, the foreign feeling of electricity rushing through my veins. It was a feeling I didn't much like, but it wasn't nearly as painful as some of the things I'd been through. Dropping my hand to the side, I walked forward in hopes of finding someone. Had they really just left me here? 

Turning the corner left me face to face with something that had me staggering to a halt. My breathing ceased as I stared at the man in front of me. He hadn't noticed my presence yet. 

Not a moment was wasted once I pulled out of the shock. I had no idea why or how he was here, but I knew he should be dead. And he should've stayed that way. 

Pulling my throwing hand back, I chucked the dagger as hard as I could. I ran after it, glaring at the Hale as I pulled out my close combat knife. I wasn't even able to open the weapon before Scott grabbed me, holding me back from attacking the man. A small smirk of satisfaction still spread on my face when he groaned in pain, reaching down to rip out the knife impaled in his shoulder. 

"What is he doing here?" 

Peter smiled snidely, lifting up his hand to waggle his fingers in my direction. I simply snarled as I wriggled around in Scott's hold.  "Still trying to figure that out." The McCall explained, completely exasperated. 

"Who is he?" 

Still glaring violently at the resurrected wolf, I hissed a reply through my teeth. "Peter Hale." 

"The Peter Hale?" Isaac asked incredulously. 

"You've heard of me. Lovely." Peter responded, a smug smirk placed on his lips. The action had me reaching for my second dagger. My hope was to throw it somewhere at his body, but Scott grabbed my arm before I could. 

"Don't flatter yourself." I growled, turning to look at Derek. "What the hell is going on?! Actually, first, how is he here? Unlike me, you didn't come back. You just burned into embers."

The former alpha growled lowly and tried to advance forward. He was stopped by Derek slapping an arm over his chest, flashing his red eyes at his uncle. "Back off." 

Peter glared, rolling his head and shoulders as he backed up. "Your lovely sister was a lot of help. Maybe I should go thank her."

Simmering at the threat, my teeth bared as I slammed my foot down on Scott's. Gaining the leverage I needed with minimal damage, I pulled myself out of his hold. In the three seconds it took for the boy to grab me again, another knife had been thrown into Peter's thigh. "Try me."