Help

Chapter 27: Battlefield

~Isaac's POV~

"Isaac, please. Just come with us. We don't have anything here. We're going to get killed."

"Nothing? What about Rae? What about your dad?"

"She hates us." Erica replied, looking down at my knees instead of my face. "And my dad is better off without me. He'll be safer. And he won't have to look at me every day and see my mother."

"She doesn't hate us." I sighed, throwing down the rag I'd been using to wipe off my sweat. "And your dad loves you."

"Maybe." Erica said, shaking out her hair as she held her head higher. "But it doesn't matter. It's better this way."

Sighing, I wiped my hands down my face stressfully. "Well maybe you can leave her, but I just-I don't know if I can, Kiki. Even if she's angry."

"Fine." I looked up at her slightly harsh tone, meeting her eyes. I could see the anger, but the pain below the surface made my heart crack. "You know where to find us if you change your mind." With that, Erica walked away, whisking the boy standing nearby out the door.

Putting my head in my hands, I rubbed my head aggressively. I was conflicted. I wanted to leave, to run from this town with one of my closest friends. This place held so many bad memories that I wanted to get away from. My family's deaths. My father's abuse. Walking lizards secretly residing within egotistical lacrosse captains.

But there were also good memories. One's I didn't want to leave behind. And there was Rae. Other than Erica, she was the only family I really had left. And if I was honest with myself, she meant a bit more to me than my other sister did. I didn't want to leave her, especially in the middle of all of this.

And then there was the fact that I was terrified of everything going on. But, in contradiction, I wanted to stay and fight. I couldn't fathom leaving these people by themselves to defend my home. Not Scott, who I had grown to trust and look up to as a werewolf and a person. Derek, who despite all the bad had given me the chance at a new life. Even Stiles, who I was pretty sure hated my guts. Even the townspeople. I knew most of them didn't deserve to be hurt because I was a coward.

But I didn't know if I could do anything to help.

Sighing once again, I pushed myself up onto my feet. Sitting here thinking this over wasn't going to help. Just like it hadn't helped the last few days. I needed guidance and so I got up and left, riding my bike quickly to the only people I thought could provide it.

"Hey. I know it's been a while. I'm really sorry, things have just been kind of nuts." I started, crossing my legs as I sunk to the ground. "I mean...I found out that monsters are real. And I was turned into one. And dad died." I said, barely glancing at the newest headstone before diverting my focus. "I just...I just need some help. I know it's probably stupid to ask you, it's not like you can respond. Maybe I just need someone to talk to."

Looking down, I started picking at the grass as thoughts flew through my mind. "I made new friends. Boyd and I aren't very close, but Erica is like my little sister. You guys would like her. And I found people that I trust. I'm torn, mom." Ripping up a patch of grass rather violently, I huffed and dropped the blades, letting them fall to the damp floor. "Erica and Boyd, they want to leave. And it makes sense. We're in danger every second we stay here but who's to say it's any better out there? We'll have each other but we won't have any money. None of us have cars and Boyd is the only one with a permit. What if we run into other hunters?" I asked, glancing between the two grey headstones. "I mean, we don't even have a place to stay."