-Chapter 17-

____________________________
-A Week later-
_____________________________

It was ten at night and Chris was over at Precious's house. He was sat in the living room as he watched TV alongside Cecelia, whilst Precious was asleep in her bedroom

It had been a week since he had confronted his dad about him divorcing his mom, and he had been avoiding him and also avoiding going back to the mansion. Growing up he had always hoped his Father would someday come to care for him and love him, despite his cold and brutal heart, but not he had given up all hope. He was angry, furious and most of all hurt, but he was done trying to please his father and done searching for love and affection from him.

"You hungry?" Cecelia asked, looking away from the TV and turning to face him. She hadn't said much about what had happened at the hospital a little while back, but Chris could tell it was always on her mind, he was always on her mind.

"No thanks, I'm good..." he replied as he fixated his eyes on the TV.

There was a brief silence for a little while surrounding the living room.

"You should at least hear what he has to say... he's left you six missed calls in the past half an hour" she spoke up again, referring to Phillip.

Chris sighed and ran his fingers through his hair frustratingly. "I'm not as patient with him as you are. I don't care what he has to say. Besides, I bet he's only calling to remind me about Stanford, I'm so fucking tired of hearing about that place. He doesn't give a shit about me, he never has ".

"Now I know your father is complicated, but you're his son and I know that deep down he cares-

"You don't have to lie to me to try to make me feel better, Cecelia" Chris sighed, quickly cutting her off. "The only people he cares about is you and your daughter... wherever she is..." he scoffed. "Look I know he was a different person when you guys were together, but how can you still love him with the way he is now?".

Cecelia paused as she gazed at Chris deeply. "Because I've always felt that it's kind of my fault that he ended up this way".

"Its not your fault" said Chris.

"It is my fault, Chris" she sighed, slowly joining her hands together. "I was happy with him, we were happy. I just let his parents, your grandparents, influence me and it caused me to start having doubts. When he left that night I knew he would come back, he always did whenever we had an argument, no matter how bad, but I still decided to run from him. I knew it would break him, but I decided to do it anyway".

She reached inside her cardigan to pull out an expensive looking diamond ring. "This was the ring that he proposed to me with on the day of our graduation. I never go somewhere without taking it with me. I guess I'm just as sick as him... I'm gonna go to bed its late, have a good night sweetheart" she placed her hand on his shoulder and rubbed it gently, before getting up from the sofa beside him.

Chris watched as she slowly made her way from the living room and into the small dark hallway, turning to head to her bedroom. As the sound of her doors closed, he sunk back into the sofa and breathed out a deep sigh.

Moments later, he picked up the remote and turned of the TV. He then slowly lifted his injured foot on top of the sofa, before laying his head down to gaze up at the ceiling. Dark and unholy thoughts rapidly clouded his mind as he stared into the thick darkness and the silence that surrounded him only made it worse.