-Chapter 28-

He sat silently, hunched over with a sense of loss so powerful that his muscles wouldn't respond to commands. A tightening of his throat and a short intake of breath forecast the explosion of emotion which he buried deep inside. His whole body felt numb, but he wouldn't dare move, it was as if he had almost forgotten how to.

"You know the reason why I pushed for you to go to Stanford your whole life was because I thought you would find yourself there like I did. When I was your age I went to Stanford to escape from my father. I met Cecelia on the first day and it was as if I suddenly had a purpose for the first time in my life. That's what I want for you, that's what I've always wanted, because if you have a purpose then you're set for life. But maybe I was wrong, maybe I shouldn't have forced anything on you that you didn't want to do".

He listened through one of the few voicemails his dad had left for him minutes before he almost died. The calmness and stillness in his voice was subsided, despite the fact that you could hear the engine of the jet malfunctioning in the background, before it came crashing down several minutes later.

Across the street, Precious held a small grocery bag in her hand as she gazed over at Chris who was sat on a bench. She watched as he stared down at his phone for a few seconds, before looking ahead into thin air. 

It had been a couple days since Phillip was announced dead. It had been tough especially for everybody. as nobody expected it to happen The shock of it all had caused Chris to spiral into a deep state of agony. He barely uttered a word and his face remained blank and motionless, almost as if he fully couldn't comprehend what had happened. Inside, she could feel his pain and grief, but outside he seemed unaffected by it which confused a lot of people.

Precious took a deep breath, before looking to her left and right, and then going to cross the street. She non-hastily sat beside him on the bench, before looking up at his face as he continued looking ahead.

"I bought a BLT sandwich for you across the street" she spoke up, opening the grocery bag to bring out the sandwich. "I also bought your favorite type of biscuits and chips... please eat something" she pleaded desperately at the fact that he hadn't eaten for the last couple days.

When he didn't respond, she slowly placed everything in the bag, before placing it beside her. She lowered her head, before lifting it back up moments later to gauge in his expression, but it was unreadable. She lifted her hand to place on his lap, but he didn't budge. The tenseness of his body and the way his eyes were hollow and darker as usual made her want to burst into tears, but she had to keep trying to be strong for him no matter what as she knew he needed her.

A short while later, they spotted a red Maserati pulling up in-front of them, followed by Ian who quickly stepped out the car.

Chris slowly diverted his gaze towards him then at Precious. "You... you told him where we were?" he questioned in a low and silent tone.

"I asked her to tell me, don't be mad at her" Ian quickly chimed in as he shut the door to his car.

As he strolled over towards them, Chris scoffed to himself. He got up from the bench, allowing Precious hand to slip away from his lap, before slipping his hands into his pockets. As Ian got closer to him and proceeded to place his hand on his shoulder, Chris quickly took a step back and rubbed his forehead as a heavy and hostile tension filled the air around them.

"I'm sorry..." Ian began, gazing directly at him morosely. "I know what you're feeling, and I'm here for you-

"Stop, just stop" Chris sighed, rubbing his eyes together. "I know that you both might find this hard to believe right now, but I'm fine..." he clasped his hands together, before turning to face Precious. "I don't need all the consolation and pity, alright. I'm not the first fucking person to lose a father, and its not like I have any good memories to remember him by, he treated me like crap my whole life".