-Chapter 18-

A while later, Chris was at the Hospital. He was sat outside his mother's hospital room along with Precious and her Assistant; Anne.

He lifted his head to look at the door opposite him, before taking a deep breath. It was no secret that him and his mom had never gotten along, but at the moment he felt genuinely worried for her in a way that he couldn't explain. When his grandmother was on her death bed one of the last few things she said to him was to always look out for his mother even when she might seem the strongest. He never took notice of that and he didn't want to either. He didn't want to have to look out for a woman who had failed to do her job as a mother. I guess he felt bitter just like her, he felt bitter about a lot of things, one of the things being her.

Seconds later, he felt a small hand on his lap and he slowly rotated his head as Precious rubbed his lap gently for comfort, before using her other hand to push his hair out his face.

He took her hand and placed a kiss on it, before turning his attention towards Anne who quickly paced up and down anxiously.

"Hey, you okay?" Chris asked as he picked up his crutches from the side before using it to stand up on his feet.

Anne turned around to face him. She pushed strands of her blonde hair away from her face before clearing her throat to speak up. "Yeah I'm just- I'm just a little worried about your mom. Nothing's like this ever happen to her before... she uh, she means a lot to me, not just as my boss" she clasped her hands together and breathed out. "I'm sorry, I should be the one asking if you're okay, not the other way around".

"Its fine, really" he replied, as Precious sat closely to herself watching on.

"You know she talks a lot about you. She tells me everything. From every amazing grade you've had throughout HighSchool, to your football games and how well loved you are by everybody. She always calls you 'the genius', the Bill Gates of the next generation" Anne stated, whilst gazing up at him.

Chris gripped onto his crutches as his eyes slowly darted around the floor. He sighed a silent sigh and closed his eyes shut for a brief moment, before turning to look back at Precious who looked back at him.

"Oh shit, something's come up" Anne hissed, as she glanced down at her phone.

"Its okay, you can go, its almost midnight, besides I'm sure whatever you have to do is important. I'll keep you updated later on her condition" he said briefly.

"Thank you, thank you. Could you let her know that I'll be here in the morning" she took a couple steps closer to him and gave him a reassuring hug, before pulling away. She glanced back at Precious and waved at her before saying her goodbyes and turning to hurry down the hallway.

Chris watched until she was out of sight, before sitting back down beside Precious.

"Your mom really said all that about you?" Asked Precious as she slowly laid her head down on his shoulder.

"I'm just as surprised as you are" Chris sighed. He kissed the top of her head, before wrapping his arm around her.

Moments later, they heard heavy footsteps marching up to them and they quickly looked up to see Cecelia with an annoyed look plastered on her face.

"Grandma" said Precious as she rapidly got up from her seat.

"Don't grandma me, do you know what time it is?" She scolded. "I was worried sick when I woke up to use the bathroom and found out you both weren't at home. Chris if you hadn't called me about your mother then I would be extra angry with you both right now".

"We're sorry, grandma" Precious muttered quietly, as she lowered her head.

"Now that's the last time you leave the house that late at night, you understand me? Chris, you too" She uttered, turning to glance down at me.