-Chapter 26-

The next day was quite, even quieter than it had been whole weekend. It was twelve noon, and Chris and Precious were laid cuddled up together beside the lake. They were set to be headed back home later in the day.

Precious' head was laid on Chris's chest as his arm was wrapped around her. She picked up the envelope that her father had left for her, before holding it up to the sunlight. Ever since she heard the news about his death the day before, her head had been all over the place. Not only did she feel so many emotions at once, but she also didn't know what to think. Usually when most people find out they had lost a parent, they would result in a long grieving process, but in her case there was simply nothing to grieve about.

She slowly lifted her head up from Chris's chest, before turning to look back at him. He pushed himself of the ground, and slowly shifted closer to her as he watched her slowly open the envelope with shaky and trembling hands. 

As she finally ripped it open, she took a deep breath and began reading through it as her heart beated out of her chest.

"Dear Precious... I'm sorry if there are some spelling mistakes in this letter, I never learnt how to read or write all to well".

She shifted closer to Chris and held the letter up to Chris, so he could read along, before continuing on.

"Ever since I first saw you almost two weeks ago, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. Nine months after I was locked up eighteen years ago, I found out you had been born, and I always wandered how you were like, but I tried not to think about you too much. You deserve to have grown up with a father that wasn't as sick as I was. Watching you cry as you told me the story of your mom made me regret more than ever about that night. I regret doing what I did to your mama, and I regret you ever knowing me as your father. I don't deserve to be anybody's father. I raped a fifteen year old girl one night when I was twenty-four, all because of my fucked up sexual tendencies, and this is the first time I'm admitting to the biggest mistake of my life since it happened- all to you in this letter, and I can no longer live with this guilt, especially since I've seen you. I'm not asking for forgiveness, because what I did was unforgivable and I deserve all the suffering and so much more that's to come for me. Today is March 30th, tomorrow will be your birthday, and I hope you have a lot more years ahead of you, and I hope that the memory of me doesn't define your future... goodbye"

As Precious finished reading through the letter, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, before glancing at Chris as he looked back at her to make sure she was okay. She peered down at the dried up blood stain at the bottom edge of the paper, whilst thinking back to the day she first met him.

"You wanna keep it?" Chris spoke up, wrapping his arm around her waist as he glanced down at her.

Precious looked down at the letter for a few more seconds, before folding it back up. "I...I wish I never read it" she stuttered, holding a hard lump in her throat.

She took a deep breath, before handing the letter over to Chris, who slowly took it from her, before reaching into his jean pocket to bring out a lighter. He glanced down at her; her eyes were full of a mix of emotions at that very moment. As she slowly nodded her head at him, he opened lit the lighter, before holding it up to the piece of paper, slowly burning it. 

"Its okay..." he whispered, pulling her close as he threw the paper on the ground. They watched it burn until it finally turned to ashes.

"Why did he choose to do it the day before my birthday?... why this day of all days?" Precious asked quietly as she gazed down at the burnt ashes, before placing her head down on Chris' shoulder.

"Because he wanted to hurt you, just like he hurt your mom" Chris responded briefly. "All that bullshit about hoping the memory of him doesn't define your future is all a lie. For someone who grew up with a toxic dad, they never change... they just eventually try to make you feel bad about their mistakes" he sighed, cupping the back of her head. "You know I'm never gonna hurt you, you're the best thing to ever happen to me" he whispered.