[21] Higher Than a Kite

L O V I N G
L A K Y N

IT HAS OFFICIALLY been an entire month since the day my father decided to. . .well, to put it bluntly; shoved me down a flight of stairs into a dusty old basement full of pictures of my mother that I did not even know existed. Thirty long, dreadful days, all beginning and ending in the exact same way. My whole life is beginning to feel like one big long loop, one that just goes on and on forever. It is rather repetitious.

I wake up, I get into my uniform, do my make-up, go to school, come home, do homework and study, then I sleep and on Tuesdays, I go to Melrose's Coffee House, per usual. Though, fortunately, Eden has seemed to steer away from there as I have not had any more run-ins with her.

I guess it is in times like these that I wish I was some spontaneous free-spirit being that had their own say in what they do with their life, like those girls that travel the world happily, taking pictures as each and every aesthetically-pleasing destination, using their little amount of money to spend on vegan-but still delicious-dishes or sustainable clothing, which they promote via their social media, of course. Or one of those boys that travel to Hawaii just to surf, or even Australia. 

Someone like Hale, I suppose.

He hates it here in Dayton Lakes. I hate the people, but the destination itself is not that terrible. He is going to get on a flight the second he graduates, meanwhile myself, and probably a lot of other students, will remain here for the duration of summer break. Our last summer break.

But Hale, I think he is going to New Zealand first, apparently it is lovely there in June. Well, towards the end of June. Dayton Academy comes to a close for the summer on the thirtieth, though I have no doubt that he will be on a plane by the first of July.

His father; Harrison Hale, also known as Foster Hayes' best friend and long-term business partner, is supportive of his son. I am sure that he would love for Hale to insert himself into Mckinsey's editing and publishing company, but he understands that Hale wants to do what he desires most before he travels back to the land of the living. His biggest desire is the world we live in.

He is rather passionate about it. There is not a single continent nor state that he does not wish to visit. I am honestly really happy for him. He gets to hop on a plane and get far far away from here, I may be in Connecticut studying at Yale, but being in a different state does not make me feel any better, being on the whole opposite side of the world would, but even then, I feel as though anyone whom resonated at one point in Dayton Lakes, is eternally tied to it.

It is like a curse. A lifelong one that follows you like a shadow, because Dayton Lakes is just a small wealthy town where everyone comes to bury their demons in three-story mansions with two garages and chandeliers, even in the guest bathrooms. 

Speaking of demons, my father and I have barely spoken, which I declare is not obscure in the Hayes residency, but it has been. . .different.

After that horrible afternoon, once Hale found me, he took me to his house, claiming that he knew what my father is like and thought it was rather bizarre that I was not answering my phone which he claimed to be ringing for almost three hours, hence why he decided to put on a cape and zoom to my safety like Superman.

I was rather shaken up after the incident, I did not speak for the rest of the night, in fact, I cried myself to sleep in Hale's bed as soon as I walked through his door. When I woke up, it was time for school and though I felt like nothing but an empty sad human, I forced myself to get ready for the day.

Thankfully, Hale took the courtesy of going back to my house once I had fallen asleep, gathering all the basic necessities I would need to continue with my day-to-day life, which just so happened to exist at Hale's house, where I stayed for a portion of the month.