[62] Truth or Dare

L O V I N G
L A K Y N

I JUMPED OUT of the passenger seat belonging to Sam's car, staring up at Hale's tall and all too familiar house which stood before me in all its luxurious beauty.

"Lila, wait!" he stopped me just as I was about to close the door.

Turning around, I sighed. "What?" I asked impatiently.

The entire drive he has explained more than two times that I am not to get into the car with anyone whom is not him, Lakyn, or Hale. I am not to drink or drive—though I could not drive, I did not bring my car, obviously—and if anything of any sort is to happen, I must call him. With that being said, I also explained more than two times that I did not need another overly protective man in my life and that I would be fine.

I understand the Rivers' all have kind tendencies built into their genes—excluding Eden up until two weeks ago—but I have a decent amount of common sense and I am aware of what to do at a party, it is not as though I have never attended one before.

"Be safe." he spoke with a pleading tone, he sounded desperate,

I nodded, rolling my eyes. "Yes, Sam. I will. I know teenagers are horrifying but I am not going to come into contact with a murderer or anything." I mocked him. "I will call you when I am ready to leave." I compromised.

He nodded, ignoring my sharp tone. "Have fun."

I sucked in a sharp breath, slowly closing the door as I forced a smile. "Trust me, I won't."

"Then why go?" he pressed.

Good question.

I shrugged. "It's the last game of the year which means this is the last post-game party of the year. Besides, my friend insisted I come." I reasoned with him.

That was not really the truth. Sam was getting clingy, I was getting overly sad and overwhelmed, and I decided that I may as well take this as a much-needed distraction. It was true that a friend insisted that I came, that friend being Sabine, and it is true that I did not want to miss the party, but those two reasons were not strong, I could have missed it if I really wanted to, which I did, but I have nothing better to do these days.

A mischievous grin placed itself upon his lips. "You have friends?" he gasped, feigning shock.

"Fuck you." I sneered and with that, I slammed the door shut, sending him a harsh glare before turning back around, chuckling as I walked toward the house.

I was nervous, to say the least. My hands were practically shaking, my palms clammy from sweat, though it was only slightly warm outside, in fact, I already regret not bringing a jacket of some sort for my arms and legs were bare.

Hale has not thrown a party in a long time. He used to be the king of parties, throwing them every weekend and sometimes even during the school week all because his father was absent but then he met Eden and realized that drinking it up every weekend is not going to fill that company that needed to be filled by his father and him only.

I think that by him doing so, he was hoping that his father would come home and see the mass amount of uncleaned mess, the red plastic cups, the smoked cigarettes, the used condoms, and the glass beer bottles, and punish him, or yell, or just realize that he needed to stay home more because, clearly, his son was off the rails.

But he did not.

Harrison Hale is a good man, a caring one, and a good father. . .when he is there. But even when you have everything, it is so simple to focus on the one thing that you do not have.