[23] My Safe Haven

L O V I N G
L A K Y N

THERE WAS ALWAYS something that I loved about Dayton City. I do not know if it was how alive it was all hours of the day and all hours of night, or whether it was simply how tall and transparent each tower was, but regardless I adored it.

I loved the city in ways that no one loved me. The life it held, the beauty. It was marvelous.

Dayton City was built around when I was the age five, I remember it used to be countryside, miles of grass and forest trees, then slowly, over time there were less and less trees and more roads were created, then the towers came, one by one, creating a long line of skyscrapers.

I recall being so sad when I saw all the towers that the government had built, it made me sad knowing that all the trees were gone now. It made me even sadder because as a young child, I thought that the skyscrapers would block out the sun forever because they were too tall, but then my mother informed me that regardless of how many things get that get in the way, the sun will always continue to shine each day, and I suppose now I think about it, it has a deeper meaning then I remember as a child.

The first time we officially visited the city to take in its new freshly built glory, I used to imagine being a giant and knocking a tower over, sending into the next then the next, like dominos. That is what they always reminded me off. My mother always said that I had such a broad imagination, father said I was silly.

I admire the city now more than before. I have always dreamt of living in a penthouse, like Arden does. 

When I try to sleep at night and I actually have time to dream without being told how to do it, I imagine myself in London, living in an old but still modern apartment building with windows for walls and a big bed that I can watch the sunset and rise from each and every day.

I would go out onto the balcony and overlook the view, I would grin as the sun-kissed my skin for the last time for the day as I sipped on a hot coffee, little snowflakes falling onto my sweater clad shoulders as I welcome winter with open arms and wish the sun farewell until tomorrow.

Then out comes the moon. I would spend late nights designing clothing, sewing pieces of material together as I create the perfect dress, the light gifted by the moon illuminating my creation and then I would smile yet again. Not because I was doing something which I only have the pleasure of doing in my dreams, but because I was over three thousand miles away from my father in a city where absolutely no one knows me.

But then before I can dream too much, I sit up and realize that I will never have the privilege of fulfilling that dream.

"We're here." Lakyn announced as we parked across the street from the one and only Roson Hotel after almost thirty minutes of Lakyn and Hale failing to follow the GPS.

Everyone sighed in relief, getting out of the car vastly as we all crossed the busy traffic filled road with caution. 

I stopped on the sidewalk, looking up at the intimidating building in front of me, consisting of nothing but concrete and glass, growing out of the asphalt metropolis like a futuristic tree of some sort.

I had never been to Arden's residence, but I expected no less than what I was currently seeing; pure luxury.

A doorman opened the glass door open for us with a friendly and polite smile, the receptionist behind the front desk asking whom we wished to see, when we said Arden, she instructed us to enter the elevator and go to the top level. I guess that must be one of the perks about owning the hotel you live in, you can throw parties and not get in trouble, if this was not owned by Arden's family I doubt many people would be allowed up, or a list of names would be required.