[56] The Broken Girl

L O V I N G
L A K Y N

ON THIS DAY precisely eighteen years ago, Eden Olivia Rivers was born. Eighteen years ago, today, Eden's mother bought an innocent kind soul into this world with no intention of actually loving her. Roughly five years ago, Eden's parents divorced and her mother won custody over her, until less than a year later, she fell into the hands of someone—much like her mother—had no intention of truly loving her.

But just under half a year ago, she escaped her traumatic life, and got on a one-way flight to Vermont, where she then met the three of us and changed us all in ways that no one else could have. She made us better, she taught us that privilege and pain were not valid reasons to mistreat people.

Just under half a year ago, Eden slipped her way into our tight-knit friendship group, which is why six months later, I made sure of it that she has the best day ever and drowns in all the gifts that I can currently afford without ridding of all my money entirely.

This morning started off happily. Hale and I woke up first, surprisingly, and prepared Eden breakfast, and by prepared, I mean that we ordered a custom double-tier cake with pastel-blue icing and whipped cream in between layers. Despite it being the last minute, the cake decorator was able to put 'Happy Birthday Eden' in cursive lettering on the surface of the top layer of cake.

Eden was practically over the moon when she walked downstairs wearing her boyfriend's baggy shirt, eyes puffy, and hair messy. The most wholesome, ecstatic grin appeared on her lips, and suddenly all the suffering and miserable moments worthwhile.

Though having cake for breakfast was not ideal, I chose to ignore it today, seeing as I have never had cake for breakfast before. Not even on my birthday. 

The excessive amount of icing sent us all into a sugar-high as we then proceeded to give Eden her gifts. Hale got her a silver necklace with a dainty little butterfly which hung from the middle of the chain. It was small, so petite that you could barely see what it was from a distance, but I thought that it was adorable, but he was saving his gift to give to her later. I can only imagine why.

Admittedly, I am one of the best gift-givers that I know, but I found myself struggling to decide on something to get Eden. I knew that she would be grateful for anything that I give her, even if it is an old pair of earrings that I do not wear anymore, but I wanted to be thoughtful. I wanted to give her something that would make her understand how eternally appreciative I am for her eighteen-year-old existence.

Lakyn and I walked the lengths of the mall several times. Every shop and every booth, but we came up with absolutely nothing. Well, Lakyn was no help to begin with. Despite Eden being his best friend, he had next to no clue what to get her. That is until we entered a skating shop. I had originally gone in there because they had all these different vintage-y, old-school type clothing items and I knew that Eden loved black, but Lakyn actually walked straight over to the wall which held several skateboards put on display.

When he originally had suggested that we get her one, I practically laughed in his face, but then I recalled the old Eden. The one that would skate practically everywhere. I used to think that it was hilarious, really. In a town like this. But now. . .I do not know; I suppose it is cool. To be different, I mean.

So, we purchased the longboard, then a card to go with it, along with a few other small things, like a frame with a picture of the four of us, taken a while back, then new Converse, because hers were practically falling apart.

As aforementioned, she was extremely grateful for each and every gift, even for the fact that Lakyn passed her the gift, which I forced him to do.