[66] Poor Eden

L O V I N G
L A K Y N

I WATCHED THAT old clock hung on the wall, observing every tick and every tock. Class only started four minutes ago, and every passing second feels the equivalent of years. I have no work to do and though it probably would be helpful, I do not feel like doing that essay Ms. Greene gave me for How to Kill a Mockingbird. I have done enough assignments based on that book during my high school career.

Hale sat across from me, leaning back in his chair, chewing obnoxiously loud on his gum, before saying: "Last week in this shit hole." he laughed. "Then Australia here I come."

"You have to get through summer break first." I huffed.

Part of me wishes that I could just graduate and then get on a plane straight away to London because this town holds nothing but bad memories and people whom are no longer anything but a constant reminder of what I lost and who I pray that I never become, I have nothing left here.

But part of me also knows that if I leave now, I will regret it. Not because of the people or the terrible trauma this town causes, but because of the little things, like Melrose's, the other dainty little stores in the town square. That big, wide lake. Or the tall forest trees that surround this small town that I have called my home for eighteen years.

Not to mention, if I leave now, then I will probably end up with plenty of luggage and nowhere to store it, in other words, I will be homeless. The thought of moving there without absolutely any plan sounds like a pure nightmare.

"That shouldn't be too bad." he answered calmly. "It'll just be you and me."

I gave him a pointed look. "Except it will not actually be just you and me." I narrowed my eyes at him. "Because I have to share you with Lakyn."

Hale threw his head backward as he laughed. "It never mattered before."

I rolled my eyes. "It always mattered." I corrected him. "You just never cared because our constant bickering and arguing was entertaining for you."

He held his hands up in surrender. "Hey, some of the shit you two would say was fucking genius." he laughed and I followed. "And I never cared because I knew the only reason you two hated each other was because you were trying to cover up how you really felt."

I think that was more so true on Lakyn's behalf. He mistreated me in the past because he knew no better, I did. Nonetheless, I still hated him because he tested my patience every single day. With every breath of air that I released from my lungs, he had something cruel to say about it.

"Actually, it was because you were never able to make a choice." I stated with a playful smile.

Speak of the devil, I thought, as Lakyn Westbrook entered the large, book-filled space. He held his head high, his blonde locks styled effortlessly, his uniform fitting his perfect figure, hands stuffed in the pockets of his emerald varsity jacket.

Before his eyes could find mine, I looked down at the table. I prayed that he would not sit here, but then I could not entirely blame him if he did seeing as Hale is his only friend, but thankfully, I heard his heavy footsteps pass the table of which I was seated at, and travel toward the back of the library.

"He's been better, you know?"

I lifted my head, resting my chin on my hand. "He has?" I sounded hopeful.

I have resisted the urge to constantly ask Hale for Lakyn updates because even though I would love to know how he is doing but as aforementioned, I did not, because I did not want to know if he was not doing well. It would break me. I know that it should not considering he is no longer mine, but it would.