[70] The Goodbye Part

L O V I N G
L A K Y N

L I L A ' S  P O V

AFTER SPENDING THE entire afternoon at Melrose's talking amongst the four of us, we finally made the dreadful decision to leave. My flight is at seven-thirty and I will not arrive in London until roughly five-thirty AM here, though, in London that would convert to ten-thirty AM there, I believe.

Hale and I got flights close to each other in time, so that we could leave at the same time. His is at eight.

I got into the passenger's seat of Lakyn's car whilst Eden and Hale got in the back, both of our suitcases in the trunk and the rest of my luggage crammed in the foot space in the backseat.

None of us really talked during the drive there, we were all sad. But it was not sad in a depressing way but in a happy way. I finally get to go to London and live out my dreams, Hale finally gets to travel, and Eden and Lakyn. . .well, they are staying here. But they will be okay. They have each other.

As I gazed down at Lakyn's large hand on my bare thigh, I pressed my hand over his, then closing my hand around his thumb. God, I am going to miss him. In just under two hours, I will be preparing to board my flight and every inch of my skin will mourn his touch.

My phone buzzed and I used my other hand to grasp it from where it was wedged between my thighs, briefly reading the message that Sabine had sent me, claiming that she has prepared the guest bedroom for me and will be waiting at the airport to pick me up in the morning, wishing me a safe flight.

These past two months have been a rollercoaster. I have been working on building myself up again, my confidence, my happiness, my strength. The last thing that I thought about was finding somewhere to live and when I finally had the strength, it was too late. Apartments are incredibly expensive there, and though I have savings, it is not quite enough, realistically, it would get me by for only a few months, if that.

So, I called Sabine and she was more than happy to let me be her roommate for a little while. I will find a job eventually, once I have settled in, and I will not touch my money unless necessary, until I move, but for now, she claims to be more than happy to have company.

It will be nice anyway. Being in a new town—a new country, with that, it would be lovely to have someone familiar. 

After replying to her text message, I closed the application, staring at my home screen which portrayed a photograph of Lakyn and I on the foreshore of New Haven beach, the cotton candy sky in the background as he frowned, his eyebrows knitted together whilst I smiled. He hated being photographed.

During the summer break, we went away for his birthday for a week. I bought him a new camera with my money—which I know that I said I would not touch, but that was the only exception—and I could not help but notice the way that his eyes lit up with joy. I spoke to the salesman and everything, researching, and trying to find the best one possible, and I did.

He paid for the Airbnb—which I felt terrible about but he insisted—and for a whole seven days, we lived together in this beautiful house near the one that we stayed at for Eden's birthday, except this one was far more us. Less woodsy, cabin-y vibes and more simplistic, white, and open.

Though we agreed to not being together for now—hopefully one day, that changes—that did not stop either of us from spending almost every breathing minute together, especially during those seven days. We would wake up, go out to this adorable acai place, and then we would walk back to our temporary home via the beach.

One night we watched all of his favorite movies to celebrate his birthday and I made an effort to stay up with him all night. We managed to stay up when the sun rose and we were in complete awe as we sat on the sand, waves crashing against the shore as we watched the warm sight before us.