Blind Date | Richard

Maybe I should start off with a greeting like "Nice to meet you, I'm Richard"? No, that's too formal. It's a blind date, not a business meeting. Be natural, it's not like you haven't dated anyone before it's just... been a while. I heard the little ring of a bell as I walked into the coffee shop and ordered myself a drink.

"Hi, can I get a black coffee please?" I asked the lady as she immediately started working on my drink. I looked down at the flower in my hand and softly smiled. Maybe this will go good. After a few moments, she handed me my drink and I took out my wallet and handed her the money.

"Thanks." I grabbed the coffee and took a small sip. "Who's the flower for?" She asked as she started counting the money in front of me. "Oh, the rose? Uh haha I'm here for a blind date. It's so I can find her. She said they're her favorite kind of flower. I wanted to make a good first impression, you know?"

"Oh, really? That's so sweet." She smiled and leaned a bit against the counter as I nodded. "Have you, by any chance, seen a woman with a box of chocolates? They're.. my favorites.." She nodded and pointed off into the back corner. "A woman walked in with a small box of chocolates a few minutes ago."

I strengthened my back and cleared my throat. "Thank you. Wish me luck. Let's hope she's the one, right?" She handed me the extra change and I shook my head. "Keep the change." We smiled at each other as I made my way over to the mystery woman. I really hope this date goes well. I haven't gone on one of them since.. wait.. no way..

I walked up to the table and there she was. This can't actually be her, can it?

"Oh, wow.." I spoke as I stood next to her table. She looked up at me and smiled. "Oh my.." She stood up and granted me with a hug, placing my drink on her table. "What are you doing here? How long has it been?" I asked her. "What am I doing here? What are you doing here?" She laughed as she pulled away and looked at me.

"Oh, yeah I'm supposed to be on a blind date. Christopher set it up for me. He said I need to put myself out there again or something like that in his rallying speech before I left."

"Really? What a coincidence. I'm actually uh on a blind date too. Daniella actually did this for me." She spoke. "Today? Huh, how weird is that?" We stood silent for a moment before I looked down at the gift in her hands. "Ohh.. you have.. chocolates.." I stated as I looked at the box.

They were my favorite kind.

"It's not – its not you, is it?" I asked, not sure how I should react. She looked at the flower in my hands and then back to her box of sweets before she slowly glanced up at me. "You're my blind date?" She stayed silent and nodded. "Wait, did you know?"

"No, I didn't. Did you?" She asked as I shook my head. "No." I thought about it for a moment and came to the conclusion that Chris and Dani had set the both of us up. "Aahh they're.. um meddling, again. Best friends, right?" She awkwardly laughed and swayed from side to side. Well, this is not how I thought this night would go.

"Right, well.. I – I'll go.." She brought her hand down to my cup of coffee and handed it to me. "Oh, yeah my coffee.. right." I took the cup from her hands and felt her skin against mine for a split moment. God, I...

"Do you maybe want to um.. sit with me?" She asked. "Only if you're okay with that." I responded as she nodded. "Yeah, I mean.. it's just us, right? We know each other.." I looked between her and the table, not really sure if I should take this. What's the harm, right? It's just us catching up a bit.

"I'll finish this and then I'll go. I don't want you to feel awkward." We sat back down at the table as I picked up my drink, taking a small sip of the hot beverage. "I guess the rose is you then." I handed her the flower as she took it from my fingers. "Oh, thank you.. uh the chocolates are yours." She slid them across the table and I took them. So much for making a good first impression.