III. Invitation to Lonliness

Mumbo had asked me to meet him in the park, the very center of the city. The only other time he asked me to do this was when he almost left the city for a new job. It didn't work out, causing him to stay here.

The only sounds that went though my ears were my feet clipping on the concrete sidewalk, my breathing, and the soft breeze. The bright colors of the park's playground and the surrounding trees came into view with every step I took. I shielded my eyes from the sun that shone through the grey clouds.

Mumbo was right yesterday. It did rain. We picked a time to meet after it downpoured.

"Hey Mumbo!" I yelled, waving my hand furiously. He chuckled and calmly waved back. As I skipped towards him, he nervously shifted from foot to foot. I frowned and slowed my pace, curious as to why he'd do that. Standing in front of him with a curious look, I folded my hands in front of me.

"Hi, Grian," he said, giving a close-lipped smile.

"What happened?" I asked. He sighed, taking a paper out of the inside of his suit. He handed me the folded sheet, looking away and at the ground. Taking it, I stared at the neat cursive scrawl that covered the paper. I shook my head to myself and started to read the handwritten letter.

Dear Mumbo Jumbo,

Hello, my name is Xisumavoid, and I am an admin of the Hermitcraft server. You have been invited to join Hermitcraft Season II. If you are not aware, Hermitcraft is a server where talented players, such as you and I, play together and survive in a world with various goals to complete. Not many people get this opportunity, and not many accept. It would be my pleasure to welcome you into the group and have you among us. If you are not interested, please, have a good day and live life to its fullest.

Should you choose to accept, send me a message telling me when we can meet so I can give you the full details.

Thank you for your time, Mr. Jumbo. I look forward to seeing your response.

Sincerely,
Xisumavoid
-Member of Hermitcraft
-Head Moderator and Admin

I reread the letter at least three times, comprehending what I was reading. Mumbo had a worried look on his face as he dug his foot into the ground. I slowly handed the letter back to him, studying the features of his face.

"Does this mean you're leaving?" I asked. Not saying anything, he dipped his head. Deciding what to do for only a split second, I jumped and threw my hands around Mumbo. He wasn't expecting it, and he yelped and stumbled back.

"Congrats, bro! I've heard of Hermitcraft! That's the right server for you!" I exclaimed.

"Y-you're not mad?" he sputtered. I tilted my head like a confused dog, raising an eyebrow.

"Why would I be?"

"I'm leaving-" he started. I snorted, shaking my head. He stopped his sentence and looked at me with surprise in his eyes.

"Well that's a stupid reason to be mad," I reply, releasing Mumbo from my grasp. He gaped at me.

"But-"

"Yes, Mumbo, I may be quite sad that you'll probably leave in a few short days, but no, I won't be mad. That's not a good friend if I put you down for some accomplishment. I'm happy for you, Mumbo. Are you going to accept?"

He nodded, saying, "Yeah... I was."

"I'm happy, Mumbo. You deserve this. Now, you should respond soon. Go pack and stuff," I continued, pulling him in the direction of his house.

Over the next few hours, I helped Mumbo pack all of his items that were needed. I helped him clear his house. The tunnel that connected our houses was closed off on Mumbo's end. We both decided to leave the rest, just in case I needed to hide or ever needed the extra space.

By the time we were done, the house that he had been living in for six years looked brand new, as if no one lived there.

Mumbo and I decided to go to my house for the remaining days Mumbo would be staying. He would stay with me until he got the access code.

When we walked away Mumbo's house for the last time, I couldn't help but feel like a piece of me was missing.

~¤☆¤~

Mumbo stood next to the huge portal that would bring him to the server as I leaned against a tree with my arms crossed.

"Promise to write?" I ask, glancing up into Mumbo chocolate colored eyes. Writing was easier than the communicator because it would be instantly sent to the player's inventory. He nodded, constantly rubbing the back of his neck and lacing his fingers together.

"Yes, I'll try to write often," he said, nervously cracking the knuckles in his hands.

"I'll try to respond as quickly as I can." I confidently say, smiling. He smiled back and turned to the portal settings, entering the access code in. The portal swirled to life, purple particles floating astray. He looked over his shoulder and at me with a scared expression etched on his face. Taking a deep breath, he stepped into the portal, turning to face me.

He gave a shy grin and waved. I returned the wave with a sad smile. This was a hard time for both of us, as we often called each other brothers because of how close we've become.

"Bye, Grian, I'll see you again, eventually," he said, tears forming in his eyes and voice threatening to crack. I nodded, wiping the stray tears that had started down my face.

He disappeared through the portal, leaving me in silence. The menu on the portal settings reset back to the homepage. It was as if it never happened.

For once in eight years, I felt lonely again. Yes, it's true that I do have other friends, but they aren't as close to me as Mumbo was. My heart dropped as I reflected on the eight years that we have been through together.

I sulked back to my house, glancing at the tunnel that led to his house. Collapsing onto the couch, I sunk into the cushions. Once before they felt fluffy and comfortable, now they feel as hard as a rock, hurting my body as I laid on it.

It didn't matter, I'll eventually cope with the loneliness. Before I was ten, I only lived with my parents. I once was used to being friendless and lonely. Why can't I go back to that? I lived like that for ten years, two years more than having one friend.

The empty feeling in my heart was still there. It started to spread, draining my energy. I laid still on the couch, the only part of me moving was my chest. Is this how life is going to be for now on because Mumbo left?

How does one cope with missing something that has been a part of their life for many years?

(Proofread and edited June 16th, 2020)