XXXIX.

A bright light shone through my closed eyelids. I opened my eyes, the sun shining down on me. My feet weren't touching the ground. I was hovering... but I was still in survival. The Shopping District's path curved under my feet, leading all over the place. My traveling cart was just across the path.

I looked up as footsteps approached me. It was EX. His eyes were set on the pathway and were bloodshot red, as if he was crying.

"Zachariah," I said. He didn't respond. I tried to grab his arm but my hand went through his body. Staring at my hand in confusion, I almost forgot about EX. My hand, however, was still solid. I pinched myself, wincing as my nails dug into that small patch of skin.

Out of the corner of my eyes, Xisuma jogged down the hill, almost tripping. EX discreetly glanced over his shoulder. He quickly looked ahead again and walked faster, trying to avoid his brother.

"EX," Xisuma called out. Ezra's pace faltered, but didn't stop.

"Yes?" The man asked, without turning around.

"We need to talk." Xisuma caught up to him, tightly gripping his shoulder. Now that they're next to each other, it was easy to see that EX was a few inches taller than his brother.

"Let go of me," EX quietly said, trying to pull away. Xisuma held with an iron grip, and EX was unable to get away.

"No. Now, stop struggling. This was due to happen eventually," Xisuma said, stepping in front of his brother.

"What do you want?" EX hissed, glaring down at X. Xisuma, however, seemed unfazed. If anything, he looked amused at his brother's attempt at intimidating him.

"To talk. It's been like... what, eight years since we actually spoke?"

"But I don't want to-"

"This wasn't an option, Ezrax. Now come on, either at my base or right here." Xisuma smiled through his helmet. EX scowled, pushing his hair to the back.

"Don't call me that, it's a stupid nickname. Anyway, nothing happened that is noteworthy," He said. "Can I go now?"

"Where would you go?" Xisuma challenged. EX said nothing. "That's what I thought." Xisuma dragged EX to a patch of grass and forced him to sit down. I followed them, slowly gliding behind the two brothers.

"I doubt nothing happened, I'm not stupid." Xisuma adjusted the helmet on his head.

"That statement could be challenged." Ezra monotoned. Xisuma lightly slapped EX's shoulder.

"Gee thanks-"

"And like I said, nothing happened."

"No no no, something happened. The tips of your hair are black. You know Grian like a close friend. You have two large scars on your throat. You haven't worn your helmet since you came here, which you need because you have breathing problems. You also have magic, for goodness sake," Xisuma listed off, throwing his hands in the air. Ezra blankly stared at him as X rambled on.

"I'm special."

"If you won't tell me anything, just tell me where you got the throat injuries... please. I'm worried for you." X added at the end. EX narrowed his eyes, contemplating.

"An idiot decided that it would be a good idea to have a sword fight and almost killed me by slashing my vocal chords," he finally said. Xisuma was silent for a moment.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because every single time I tried to approach you, you would push me away and call me a scumbag?" EX looked away, tears starting to form in his eyes. I felt bad for EX. Getting called anything negative from a sibling hurts, especially if it happens multiple times.

"Oh Ez, I'm sorry-" Xisuma started.

"Sure," EX said, crossing his arms.

"Ezra, listen, I'm sorry for treating you like how I did, but that was in the past. I didn't mean it." Xisuma nervously rubbed his knuckles. EX said nothing. After a few silent minutes, he slowly turned his head to his brother. Tears brimmed his eyes, some had already rolled down his cheek.

"Ezra-" Xisuma said.

"You're wasting my time," EX interrupted. He started to get up.

"Ezra Xanthusvoid, would you listen to me for once in a lifetime?" Xisuma slightly raised his voice, reaching out and grabbing his brother's wrist. EX hissed and wrenched his arm away, protectively holding it to his chest. He was squatting, death glaring Xisuma.

"Well, I'm sorry, Xisumavoid, that I can't listen to you without ignoring you or screaming! I'm sorry I can't believe you at all! Remember, it was you who banned me to the void, it was you who introduced me as your evil twin, it was you who didn't accept me because of how I looked and sounded!" EX yelled. His voice lowered to a low growl. "It was you who stood back when that group of schoolboys beat me up in front of you and your friends. I would have died that night had I not gone to Mother for help afterwards. Do you understand now? I can't believe you in this type of situation when you almost let me die because of a group, who, may I remind you, were your classmates." Xisuma stayed silent, looking at the ground in shame. EX stood up, not looking at his brother.

"That's another thing, you got everything. You got to go outside, you were allowed to go to school, you were able to have friends. Me? I got nothing. I was locked inside. The only thing that kept me sane and entertained were the glitches that I found in my room. The only thing that helped me survive was learning how to hack," He hissed.

"I believe we are done for now." Ezra spread his wings, glaring at his brother. "Give me time. Ban me. Forget about me. Ignore me. I don't care. Just... for now, leave me alone." EX flapped his wings and shot into the air so forcefully, Xisuma fell to the side. By the time he uprighted himself again, his brother was nowhere to be found.

For a while, Xisuma looked into his lap, legs crossed. It was hard to see his expression, but I know for a fact a few tears escaped his eyes.

I floated closer, putting a hand on his knee. He didn't react. Peering closer, he had dark bags under his eyes, as if he hadn't slept in a while.

Pulling away, I sighed. Xisuma put his head in his hands, shoulders shaking slightly. No one was around to help him.

It was Mumbo and Doc who found him in the same position many hours later. They were discussing redstone when they stumbled on X. They were shocked to find the poor admin half asleep and quietly crying into his hands. Xisuma is one of the most calm and collected people on the server, it was no wonder the two were stunned.

I followed Doc and Mumbo as they got him to his base through the nether portals, forcing him to sleep for once. They left after a while, discussing what could have caused Xisuma to break down like that.

I shook my head as I heard only wrong answers, not even close to what I just witnessed.