IX.

It was the next day, though every moment that passed seemed to go by so quick. The events blurred together, and it seemed like days don't exist anymore.

I sat as still as I could, not wanting to attract any attention to me. Every to-be Watcher was sitting in the same room as I was, scared out of our wits.

Yavin stood in front of us, sneering at every single person. His hands were folded behind his back, where his staff was. He wore the same dark robes he wore at my house, except the hood was down. His blue eyes stared each of us down, not moving on until the student backs down.

He didn't have obvious favorites, unlike Quinn, but he did have some who he disliked.

Lint- I mean, Lynnthuic.

Zachariah and I agreed to call him Lint, like a lint roller.

I almost chuckle, but don't because of the setting I am in. I looked up, discreetly looking around at everyone. Everyone was in their robes, making us look the same. Another thing I noticed was how we all looked like normal human beings. Still, there wasn't anyone who stood out. Most were staring at the desks they sat at. Others watched Yavin with keen eyes. Some looked like they wanted to explode something.

Yavin started pacing in the front of the room. Magic cackled around him, though it was controlled. His eyes glowed a dark sapphire color, flashing at random times.

"Now, you kiddos here are going to learn about how to be a Watcher." He started in a slow and indifferent voice. "You already got a bit of information when you were escorted to the Apprentice Quarters." I frowned to myself. Why was his English more fluent than how it was at my house? Before I could ponder it more, he started to walk through the aisles of desks. Each step was evenly timed, creating a slow and rhythmic beat. Yavin spoke so slow, almost as slow as his footsteps. It was almost agonizing, waiting for the next words.

"It is not our job to introduce you to each other. You do that on your own time. If you choose to not learn about the others you'll be stuck with for the next few years, it's not our problem or responsibility." Yavin's footsteps started to approach me from behind. I sat as still as possible, but I could feel his eyes on me. Without saying anything, he passed my desk. I released a silent breath I didn't know I was holding. My shoulders dropped and my robes shifted. Yavin's ear twitched slightly, but he didn't acknowledge it. If anything, it just caused him to smirk.

"If you so smartly decide to cause problems that affect others..." He said, quickly glancing at Lynnthuic for a millisecond. "You will face the consequences. What those are... you will have to find that out yourself." Out of the corner of my eyes, I watched Lynnthuic pale. "Consider this a warning. Starting now, you will not get away with anything." Yavin stopped at the front of the room, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You know you were brought here by your blood, whether your parents told you or not. It runs through your family, whether your mother or father was a Watcher." This time, he looked directly at Lynnthuic. He narrowed his glowing eyes and gestured to the group of about thirty-five students. "That means, at the moment, none of you are better than each other." Yavin spit out, voice becoming more stern. He then glared at the entire group of students. "If, in my class, you think you are better than the person next to you, I will embarrass you worse than ever before. Pray you will never find out what happens." His expression softened to a cold and emotionless mask every Watcher would learn to do. I don't know if I should be scared or amazed at his facial muscle control.

"The rules are different in each class. I am giving you the general rules, as it is my year to do so." He looked at each student, making eye contact and moving on quickly.

"I am about to dump all the general rules on you. Failure to abide by them will earn you consequences." He paused, before continuing his lecture.

"Don't be late to your classes. Pass your classes. If you don't, you will stay up for days until you understand the material. Respect the authority. Respect each other. Don't kill another student. Yes, it's happened before, the student didn't respawn." He added at our horrified expressions. "If you try to leave this place, we will hunt you down and when we find you, will punish you. Everything here is provided for you. Do not destroy the Facility. If you want to duel someone, have a Council Member around. If you don't, make sure we never find out." He paused here, taking a breath and looking around.

"There are more rules I probably forgot to mention. If you so desire, there is a rule book on every classroom. I'd suggest looking over it, so you don't have to explain why you did something stupid." He turned around, putting his hands on the desk. After staying silent for a few moments, he sighed.

"Leave my presence." Commanded Yavin. Simultaneously, everyone stood up. We shuffled out the classroom though four different doors. Some tripped over their robes. After walking for a few minutes, we separated into different groups, which was dependent on walking pace. I, somehow, was part of the fastest walkers. Years of walking next to Mumbo must have helped. I only recognized a few people.

Somewhere along the way, Lynnthuic forcefully nudged me, pushing me into the stone wall. He was much taller than me, making it easier for him. The other's pulled him away. One asked if I was alright. I nodded and rubbed my shoulder, scowling. A larger hand grabbed Lynnthuic's shoulder, nails digging into his skin. The group I was walking with turned, and was met by Yavin, who was glaring down at Lynnthuic. Yavin was at least seven feet tall. Lynnthuic, only five feet and seven inches.

"If you are attempting to harm another classmate, I'd suggest not doing it in front of three Primordial Council Members." He said in a lecturing tone. Past Yavin, two other members I haven't bet before were present, disapproval on their faces.

"Well, what do you know," One of them started, crossing her arms. "First punishment of this generation." She shook her head, brown-reddish hair swaying behind her back. Yavin pulled Lynnthuic back with him, causing him to yelp and trip. He didn't stop. Yavin just dragged him along.

"Move along, apprentices." The other Watcher said, frowning at Yavin and the female Watcher. In awkward silence, the group walked towards our living quarters.

It was quieter than it was earlier.

I pushed open the door to my room, finding it void of life. Seems right, as Zachariah was part of a slower group. I approached my bed, ready to turn in for the night. The clock on the wall told me it was seven at night.

I stopped mid-step, suddenly remembering why Watchers seemed familiar. I covered my mouth, guilty pain filing my chest. I slumped against the room's wall, sliding to the floor.

My mother told me to stay away from Watchers. She told me that I must never join them.

I broke the unspoken promise.

I, though unwillingly, joined the Watchers.